Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Finally moving to LMT
Finally moving to LMT [message #247397] Mon, 25 June 2007 14:50 Go to next message
tobyc
The database I support has over 3000 tables in 350 tablespaces all DMT. We do not have the luxury of a long scheduled downtime, so that will leave out the option of exp/imp on a large scale. I'll be doing the move to LMT in pieces over several weeks. I wanted to bounce this idea of anyone that would read it to see if my thinking is along the right lines.
1. Create a large tablespace to move items to (move out of DMT)
2. Once the DMT tablespace is empty run the dbms space admin proc to change to LMT. We need to keep the same tablespace names as they were when DMT.
3. Move the table/object back to take full advantage of LMT.
4. Rebuild the indexes as necessary.

Originally I was thinking that I needed to drop the old DMT and recreate it as a LMT then move the object back, but can avoid that and still get full benefits of LMT by using the move command along with dbms space admin proc. Please let me know if you find some faults with my thinking on this subject.
Thanks,

Re: Finally moving to LMT [message #247402 is a reply to message #247397] Mon, 25 June 2007 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michael_bialik
Did you considered using

DBMS_SPACE_ADMIN.TABLESPACE_MIGRATE_TO_LOCAL

procedure?

I used it for migration to LMT a number of times.

Michael
Re: Finally moving to LMT [message #247404 is a reply to message #247397] Mon, 25 June 2007 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
2. Drop the tablespace and recreate it as LMT.

Or better.

2. Drop the tablespace
3. Rename the new tablespace to the old one.

Regards
Michel
Re: Finally moving to LMT [message #247408 is a reply to message #247402] Mon, 25 June 2007 15:09 Go to previous message
tobyc
As I understand, if you use only the DBMS_SPACE_ADMIN.TABLESPACE_MIGRATE_TO_LOCAL the ojects will contiue to use the storage parameters that they previously had. I want the objects to take on the storage parameters of the newly created LMT tablespace.
I thought that to gain full use of LMT you would have to move the objects in/out to take on the storage of the new LMT.

Also, we are using RAW so the constant lv creation will slow down the process. That is the other reason I wanted to keep the old tablespace to cut down on the time to complete the work.

Thanks,

[Updated on: Mon, 25 June 2007 15:11]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: shared pool
Next Topic: SQL tuning -- need help urgent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 21:20:28 CDT 2024