Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » 10.1 much slower than 10.2? help!
icon9.gif  10.1 much slower than 10.2? help! [message #246368] Wed, 20 June 2007 13:47 Go to next message
Magic][
Hi

Sorry for my first post being a question.

I am presently trying to figure out why an application our company uses is considerably slower with oracle 10.1 than it is with 10.2.

The part of the application that is slowed, consists (from what i can gather, from the API and the code that is running) of single queries running with the data being sent across the LAN between queries.

I have monitored the network activity between the oracle box and the application box, and have noticed that with 10.2, there are consistent peaks, one after the other with no delays in between, with 10.1 the network activity has very large delays in between each (what i assume to be) result - the delays are around 10-30 seconds each, which when attempting to run thousands of these a day, is causing some headaches.

I am not as proficient with oracle as i would like (raised on ms-sql and MySQL - sorry:P) but i would be extremely grateful if someone could explain this difference for me, and even offer any advice (short of upgrading the live environment to 10.2 - which will eventually happen *crosses fingers*) on how to speed up 10.1, are there any commands, timeouts, settings that could help reduce this speed gap?

Many Thanks
Re: 10.1 much slower than 10.2? help! [message #246427 is a reply to message #246368] Wed, 20 June 2007 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
If you want to tune the database, the network is probably not the best place to start Wink

10.1 is not inherently slower than 10.2. There are lots of reasons why two otherwise identical database might differ in performance - even when they have the same version. Upgrading to 10.2 won't necessarily help.

The most likely cause is statistics, which might be stale. The Performance Tuning Guide is a good place to start if you want to know more.

10g has a feature whereby it will gather statistics for you automatically. It will work out when they are stale, how much data to sample, which types of statistics are relevant and which are not. It can be set to run overnight, and I have found that using it with all default options to be very reliable and effective. You can read about it under the 'GATHER_STATS_JOB' in that link.

Statistics are not the only thing that could go wrong, but there's really no point looking any further until you know your stats are fresh. For your next step, you could look through the rest of the manual, but you really need to obtain the services of a good DBA.

Ross Leishman
Re: 10.1 much slower than 10.2? help! [message #246458 is a reply to message #246368] Thu, 21 June 2007 01:04 Go to previous message
Magic][
Thanks

I'll check out the performance guide, one of the problems im faced with is that i will not be able to change the queries that are running, as the application has no source freely available :/

I found it weird that such a difference in performance was obtained between 10.1 and 10.2 with all other aspects being identical.

Many Thanks
Previous Topic: Performance of Update Statement
Next Topic: shared pool
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 21:40:43 CDT 2024