Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » How do you determine db_cache_size
How do you determine db_cache_size [message #243256] Wed, 06 June 2007 11:11 Go to next message
mivey4
Hi.

What would be a general rule of thumb or good base formula to follow in determining the appropriate size for the db_cache_size parameter without getting intensely involved in using statspak or cache advisor tables?

Is there a simple way to get in the general ballpark of a reasonable value?

Embarassed Thanks.

Re: How do you determine db_cache_size [message #243259 is a reply to message #243256] Wed, 06 June 2007 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DreamzZ
check it
http://www.revealnet.com/newsletter-v4/1203_A.htm
Re: How do you determine db_cache_size [message #243268 is a reply to message #243256] Wed, 06 June 2007 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Why don't you want to use the tools Oracle provide?
Is there any good reason?

Regards
Michel
Re: How do you determine db_cache_size [message #244075 is a reply to message #243259] Mon, 11 June 2007 09:31 Go to previous message
mivey4
Thx for the link, that is very helpful!!!

In reply to the question of using the provided Oracle tools. The inquiry wasn't made in opposition to using the provided Oracle tools as much as acquiring a more straightforward and simplistic manner to deriving a general rounded method of determining the db_cache_size.

Using the tools provided would ofcourse be the appropriate method in a production environment but using the tools isn't the answer I was looking for. In short, if someone who didn't know all the inner mechanisms and/or wasn't fully proficient with Oracle were to ask me the same question; I wouldn't feel like telling them to use the tools would be the best way to answer the question.

I personally don't have a problem using the internally provided tools although installing the statpack has given me considerable trouble in the past so I tend to shy somewhat away from using it as a result.

thnx for your input though.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 June 2007 09:43]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Oracle 9i Performance and Tuning question
Next Topic: 10g and Index Fast Full scans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 01:43:53 CDT 2024