Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Database Performance Issue VS Network Performance Issue
Database Performance Issue VS Network Performance Issue [message #228687] Tue, 03 April 2007 13:47 Go to next message
rfilion
Hi all.

We have a production server running on Oracle 9i. Many users are complaining about the application being slow. Often, the problem is not with the Oracle database, but rather their network. We are using Forms 6i (I know, we still live in dinosaur land).

One of the step we have done as a work around until we find a solution, is:
From the launchpad of our application, we put a shortcut for the users that currently launches a TNSPING against the listener.

The problem that we have is that the TNSPING's results are inconclusive. A long reply (>80 msec) will signify to the user that at the time they performed the TNSPING, there is a problem, but that's it. TNSPING cannot tell you whether the slow response is due to the Network, or high activity on the server.

Does anybody know if there is a utility that can be called from the client side (the forms 6i application) that would tell the user if the problem is network related or db server related? We do not need to give the users detailed information on the actual issue. All that we need to tell them is: Network related or Database related.

Hope I am clear enough. Please ask if you need clarification.
Re: Database Performance Issue VS Network Performance Issue [message #228690 is a reply to message #228687] Tue, 03 April 2007 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
If you "assume" the bottleneck is NOT the client, then IMO I see 3 possible problem areas.
1) Network
2) Database server (at OS level)
3) DB internals
Different & independent tests are needed for each possibility.
A network copy of a "sizable" file from client to known idle host
might give indication of a network bottleneck.
A network copy of a "sizable" file from client to DB server might give indication of a network bottleneck assuming available disk & CPU resources at DB server.
Independent monitoring should tell you whether DB server has excess/available CPU, DISK I/O & RAM resources.

IMO, you can't test using a simple DB query, becuase it the response is "slow", you still don't know why/what is slow.
Re: Database Performance Issue VS Network Performance Issue [message #228694 is a reply to message #228690] Tue, 03 April 2007 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rfilion
Thanks for the quick reply.

Maybe I should of mentioned that the reason for doing this is:

If the problem is network related, the users are sent to their own IT/Networking department. (We don't maintain)

If the problem is DB server related or problems with the database itself then we maintain.

Regardless, by the look of your response, there doesn't seem to be anyway for us to simply determine through forms 6i (or by calling a similar utility to tnsping from a dos prompt) if it's network or server/db related.

Right?
Just trying to make sure I understand properly you answer as we currently were not intending to use an SQL query to check if the problem was on the db side. (Although if it's something that could be done, we would definately consider it.)

Thanks again

Re: Database Performance Issue VS Network Performance Issue [message #228699 is a reply to message #228687] Tue, 03 April 2007 14:57 Go to previous message
michael_bialik
Run STATSPACK for a user-session and post the results.
Even better - post TKPROF for user session.

Michael
Previous Topic: views in 92
Next Topic: Complex query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 06:44:39 CDT 2024