Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Sizing a DB
Sizing a DB [message #227732] Thu, 29 March 2007 03:51 Go to next message
dj_jay_smith
Hi,

I have been given the task of sizing a database for one of our products for potential new customers.

The problem is that we have a lack of details about how to do this and I am not a DBA and we have no access to the large system in production from where we can get such information!

I have managed to find a way to size the data tables themselves, but I need to calculate the size needed for the following;

Indexes
Redo/Archive logs
Rollback segments
etc.

For the indexes I have a dump of "all_indexes" and no other information.

Based on this lack of information are there formulas that I can use to calculate such things.

The sizing does not have to be exact, but should be fairly accurate (we can apply a risk factor to cover other objects, overheads etc).

I would appreciate any and all information!

Regards

Jason
Re: Sizing a DB [message #227845 is a reply to message #227732] Thu, 29 March 2007 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
This much I know: If we have the info. about tables, and which are the keys that are going to be indexed, then how much data the tables will hold, then we can arrive at approx. size of how space indexes will occupy. Like u know that empno is primary key , this is a number and it will have 60000 records, then you can just create a table and index and get to see the size of the index. here the critical factor will be, whether you can estimate the number of rows in each table, and which are all the keys that will be indexed...once you have these data, you can arrive at the conclusion...there could be other more sophisticated ways too...just my approach this.
Re: Sizing a DB [message #227846 is a reply to message #227732] Thu, 29 March 2007 13:47 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>Based on this lack of information are there formulas that I can use to calculate such things.
Q. What do you get when you plug unknown values into a formula?
A. GIGO
Previous Topic: Training on 10g PT
Next Topic: Forms Performance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 17:07:56 CDT 2024