Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Doubt on "SQL Ordered by Parse Calls"
Doubt on "SQL Ordered by Parse Calls" [message #222900] Tue, 06 March 2007 21:51 Go to next message
gkodakalla
Hi,
in the snapshot i generated for a database, i found the section as follows for "SQL ordered by Parse Calls".

SQL ordered by Parse Calls
-> Total Parse Calls: 634,128
-> Captured SQL account for 72.3% of Total

% Total
Parse Calls Executions Parses SQL Id
------------ ------------ --------- -------------
44,441 44,441 7.01 fzxphbq4df76h

I found all the records mentioned in that report have same number for Parse calls and for Executions. Is it okay if we have the number same for "Parse calls" and "Executions". Is it not required to have less parse calls and more executions for a given statement.

Thanks.

Re: Doubt on "SQL Ordered by Parse Calls" [message #222901 is a reply to message #222900] Tue, 06 March 2007 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Is it not required to have less parse calls and more executions for a given statement.
Obviously it is NOT required because they are equal in your case.
Re: Doubt on "SQL Ordered by Parse Calls" [message #222907 is a reply to message #222900] Tue, 06 March 2007 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gkodakalla
But will this have any impact on soft parse %? For this system, soft parse %age is only 88% now.

What i wanted to know is, if we have the parse count and execution count as same, we are parsing for every execution.
Will it hit performance of the system? Is it not required to have less parses than executions?

Thanks
Re: Doubt on "SQL Ordered by Parse Calls" [message #222910 is a reply to message #222900] Tue, 06 March 2007 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>What i wanted to know is, if we have the parse count and execution count as same, we are parsing for every execution.
Yes, 1 parse for every execution.

>Will it hit performance of the system?
Every system will eventually hit performance limit.
When doing 1 parse for every execution, you hit the limit sooner that when having only 1 parse for MANY executions.

>Is it not required to have less parses than executions?
Obviously it is NOT required because they are equal in your case.

It is desired to have parses < executions; but not REQUIRED.
Re: Doubt on "SQL Ordered by Parse Calls" [message #222947 is a reply to message #222900] Wed, 07 March 2007 00:48 Go to previous message
michael_bialik
There are a number of articles by Tom Kyte (look at google) about performance problems caused by soft parsing.
In your case your application is either using Java/.Net and closes the statement each time or generates dynamic sql and releases the cursor from session-level cache which is not desirable in both cases.
Previous Topic: Tunned querry
Next Topic: performance of a query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 17:26:23 CDT 2024