Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » db statistics after db abnormal shutdown
db statistics after db abnormal shutdown [message #220894] Thu, 22 February 2007 11:49 Go to next message
vinu_raj
Not sure this is the forum i should post this question, still

We had a power outage last week and one of our performance testing database went down without proper shutdown and when it came back ( normal db startup ) the application performance was found to be degraded drastically. When I checked, the CPU utilization was 100% and disk I/O almost nil. I ran the gather db statistics and everything came back to normal.

Now the question is, how did the db statistics got invalidated ? Does this has something to do with abnormal shotdown ? We are using oracle 9i release 2 as below.

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.5.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production

regards
Vinu
Re: db statistics after db abnormal shutdown [message #220895 is a reply to message #220894] Thu, 22 February 2007 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Are sure that the statistics got invalidated?
May be the stats were just outdated even before the shutdown.
Or by anychance was the stats collection in progress when server was shutdown?
Wierd~
Re: db statistics after db abnormal shutdown [message #220930 is a reply to message #220894] Thu, 22 February 2007 15:12 Go to previous message
vinu_raj
I started looking at CPU utilization and disk I/O after noticing that, one of the processes which use to complete with in 10-15 minutes previously was running for ever after the restart. The process use to complete with in 10-15 minutes before the shutdown, and after the shutdown it didn't come out for 2 hours and I killed it. This process just do selects and does not make any changes in the database.

Once I run db statistics gathering for the schema everything came back to normal.
Previous Topic: doubt on paritions
Next Topic: Queries not running - pls help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 13:02:21 CDT 2024