Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » Data Conversion & Data Migration
Data Conversion & Data Migration [message #211019] Mon, 25 December 2006 03:25 Go to next message
Arjunn
Hi can any one explain wht is data conversion and data migration
Wht r the steps involved in data conversion, how to do this data conversion from lagacy system to oracle 11i

Razz Regards,
Arjun.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 December 2006 03:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Data Conversion & Data Migration [message #211171 is a reply to message #211019] Tue, 26 December 2006 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumar_apps
Hi,

The below explaination regarding migration given by Mr.David, who is a modearator in this formum and you can find the discussion thread with subject 'migration' for further info

find the same below, which clarifies you

What is meant by Migration, .....

Try the last entry here:-
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861630011
Quote:

..... in which stage it is done by Functional consulant, .....

It is done during the Migration stage
Quote:

..... can i get the implication of Migration

For the Functional Consultant, it usually means Data Migration, which means you have to ask "What data do we have to migrate from the legacy system to the new system?". For GL, it will be all of the account balances, for AP and AR it will be all of the open invoices (although some organisations will want to try to take closed invoices as well), for FA it will be all assets still in service. Note that the GL balances will already include all of the information already in the sub-ledger, e.g. for a Payables Invoice, the expense has already been charged on a Distribution Line, and the Liability has already been recorded too. If you feed this invoice into AP in the normal way, it will update the GL again, thus double-counting the expense and the liability.

What you might do is have one Payables Expense Migration Control Account and one Payables Liability Migration Control Account for data migration, then post to these on the migration invoices only. Then take the balance on the AP Control Account on the legacy system and debit the Payables Liability Migration Control Account and credit the Payables Expense Migration Control Account. If all of the invoices have been migrated properly, the two Payables Migration Control Accounts will now have a zero balance. Keep separate Migration Control Accounts for each sub-ledger.

What is "Conversion"

 Collect Conversion Data;
 Setup Data (e.g. chart of accounts);
 Master Data (e.g. vendors & customers);
 Open Transaction Data (GL open balances);
 Convert Conversion Data;
 Reconcile Conversion Data.

Regards
Kumar
Re: Data Conversion & Data Migration [message #211190 is a reply to message #211171] Wed, 27 December 2006 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arjunn
Hi Kumar,

Thanks for ur information.

I want to know wht is Data Loader and its functionality and whr it can be used.

Regards,

Arjun
Re: Data Conversion & Data Migration [message #211271 is a reply to message #211190] Wed, 27 December 2006 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arjunn
Arjunn wrote on Wed, 27 December 2006 13:32
Hi Kumar,

Thanks for ur information.

I want to know wht is Data Loader and its functionality and whr it can be used.

Regards,

Arjun

Re: Data Conversion & Data Migration [message #211276 is a reply to message #211019] Wed, 27 December 2006 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prashant_pathak
Hi,

You can find Dataloader information from www.dataloader.net.
Even you can download free version of dataloader.

Dataloader is intelligent tool which control windows of OS and does the data entry into specified application.

Sample use to load Value Set information.

Regards
Prashant Pathak
Re: Data Conversion & Data Migration [message #211282 is a reply to message #211276] Wed, 27 December 2006 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arjunn
Hi Pathak,

Now im using data loader, but im not able to export data from data loader to oracle apps, all the inf of two coloumns in DL is exporting to a single field only.

Can u plz tell how to export into oracle apps.

Regards,
Arjun.
Re: Data Conversion & Data Migration [message #211288 is a reply to message #211019] Wed, 27 December 2006 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prashant_pathak
Hi,

Can you tell me what kind of data you want to load? Explain that.....

Regards
Prashant
Re: Data Conversion & Data Migration [message #211315 is a reply to message #211282] Wed, 27 December 2006 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
panelan

I upload sample dataload file for System administrator > Concurrent > Program > Define > Parameters
I'm not sure it works on your program because I'm using old version dataload program. But it will help you to understand using dataload.

Good luck

J.H.Park
Re: Data Conversion & Data Migration [message #211348 is a reply to message #211271] Thu, 28 December 2006 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumar_apps
hi arjun

dataloader is a front end tool for loading data(from dataload file) into oracle applications which u can download for free from dataload.net. And even the usermanual availabel in the site would help you explain how to use this(quite simple only).

revert if still to clarify

regards
kumar
Re: Data Conversion & Data Migration [message #211455 is a reply to message #211348] Thu, 28 December 2006 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arjunn
hi Kumar,

tanx for ur information, i hav succesfully loaded the data into oracle forms.

In tools>delays we have...
TAB
ENT
*UP
*DN
*LT
*RT
*SP
*SAVE
*NB
*PB LIKE WISE WHTS THE MEANING OF ALL THESE

and wht are the imp options v hav to consider while data loading

Regards,
Arjun.
Re: Data Conversion & Data Migration [message #211496 is a reply to message #211455] Fri, 29 December 2006 00:21 Go to previous message
kumar_apps
hi arjun

I also dsn't know much about it, but ur question can be answered in dataload forum I feel.

regards
kumar
Previous Topic: Multi Org Documentation
Next Topic: Oracle Apps HRM
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 17:17:36 CDT 2024