Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » Switch to APPS
Switch to APPS [message #210482] Thu, 21 December 2006 00:42 Go to next message
dksampat
Hi all,

I have 3 years of experience in Oracle Pl/Sql Development and I am currently in Singapore. I am a 9i Developer OCP and 9i DBA OCP. I am looking for some oppportunities so that I can get shifted to APPS domain as an APPS Technical Developer. So I am about to start learning Oracle APPS on my own.

But after learning the same, kindly please guide me, regarding what best are my employment opportunities in Singapore with this profile. Because by that time I will not be having any Work Experinece in Oracle APPS (but only knowledge in Oracle APPS) and will companies in Singapore be ready to take a person with this kind of profile (One who has technical and work experince in Oracle Pl/Sql, Forms and Reports + technical knowledge and no work experince in Oracle APPS) ?

Thanks in advance for any help that you would offer.

Regards,
Dinesh
Re: Switch to APPS [message #210916 is a reply to message #210482] Sat, 23 December 2006 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
supor9
Hi,

Most of the Apps Technical people initially work in Oracle field (SQL, PLSQL, Reports and Forms) and then shift to Oracle Apps.

In oracle apps, you will find new things like, adding reports to apps, adding forms to apps, interfaces and conversions.

Simply speaking you have to concentrate on RICE components (ie Reports Development, Interfaces, Conversions, and Extensions).

So concentrate on the above. You can tell the interviewers in Singapore that you worked both in Oracle and Oracle Apps in your previous projects (this is my suggestion, you think and decide).

all the best

Raj
Re: Switch to APPS [message #211197 is a reply to message #210482] Wed, 27 December 2006 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
panelan

Hi,

I don't know how many companies use oracle APPS new technology in Singapore.
Earlier version oracle APPS used Reports, Forms, and etc but recently, oracle APPS techstack change to use JSP.
So if you want to work on oracle APPS development, you would better to learn Java, JSP, and OAF for newest version of Oracle APPS.

Good luck.
Re: Switch to APPS [message #211214 is a reply to message #210482] Wed, 27 December 2006 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
supor9
Hi,

Oracle E Business Suite (11i)is now using Forms and Reports etc. And it is also using the same technology in its next release - R12 (ie Oracle E Business Suite Release 12). So the skills you already acquired will be required in the near future (for at least another 10 years).

And for Oracle Fusion, which Oracle is planning to release in parallel with R12 is using JDeveloper. So if you are interested you can learn the JDev. But this will not make the above obsolete.

So think and decide. All the forms and Reports knowledge will be much useful in any place.

all the best

Raj
Re: Switch to APPS [message #211223 is a reply to message #211214] Wed, 27 December 2006 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adragnes
Even though there is a lot of Forms still used in Release 12, quite a bit has been moved to the Oracle Application Framework (OAF). Knowing OAF will not only be useful when Fusion Applications arrive in a couple of years time, but also right now. The move from Forms to OAF will most likely progress also on the point releases of R12.

But there are other new technologies that also are important to learn if you want to work with Oracle Applications and that is XML Publisher (for reporting) and BPEL (for workflow and integration).

That said, there will be use for people knowing Forms and Workflow a while yet. The good news is that in R12 the E-Business Suite will move from Forms 6i to 10g, which probably will make it less of a hassle to work with. As for Reports, I see no reason whatsoever to write a new report using Reports, but there will still be a need to maintain legacy custom reports.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Re: Switch to APPS [message #211305 is a reply to message #211223] Wed, 27 December 2006 21:36 Go to previous message
dksampat
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. It was really helpful for me. I really thank this forum and its members for their efforts in shaping up careers for inexperienced persons like me.

As you all had mentioned, I shall concentrate on switching to APPS domain first (using my knowledge in Forms, Reports and Pl/Sql). This should help me to work in Rel 11 and Rel 12 (to some extent) initially. Parallelly within the next 2 years, I will have to learn Java/J2EE, BPEL, Web Services, ADF with Faces [JSF], XML Publisher and XML/CSS/XSL/JavaScript so that I can face Fusion too. Can you please advice whether this is a proper plan for my future or not ?

Thanking you all again for your valuable efforts.

Regards,
Dinesh
Previous Topic: PO and REQUITION Approval
Next Topic: Urgent help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 16:47:20 CDT 2024