Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Will Deleting rows from Table improve Performance?
Will Deleting rows from Table improve Performance? [message #201466] Sat, 04 November 2006 12:43 Go to next message
kumarsz
Hi,
i am using oracle 9.2.0.6.0 on Linux

one of our table has millions of rows

If i delete some of the rows from table will i get performance benefit or ONLy truncating will improve performance as it will reset High Water Mark and queries while (FTS) scans till High Water Mark only

above query is for tow scenarios
1) accessing table via index (no FTS)
2) accessing table without index

Thanks and REgards,
Pratap
Re: Will Deleting rows from Table improve Performance? [message #201469 is a reply to message #201466] Sat, 04 November 2006 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
If you truncate the table, query that selects from that table will run at light speed because it will be empty Smile
Re: Will Deleting rows from Table improve Performance? [message #201471 is a reply to message #201466] Sat, 04 November 2006 14:12 Go to previous message
kimant
If You delete, the query using index should get the benefit.
Depending how much You delete, it might benefit from a rebuild of the index too.

Why do You not try it out?

Just CTAS to make a copy of Your many million rows table, create the index etc.....

Br
Kim
Previous Topic: insert statement runs slow
Next Topic: Tuning SQL statement in PL/SQL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:12:17 CDT 2024