Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » Migration
Migration [message #193568] Mon, 18 September 2006 05:27 Go to next message
sirishatalwar

Friends,

What is meant by Migration, in which stage it is done by Functional consulant, can i get the implication of Migration

rgds/sirisha
Re: Migration [message #193627 is a reply to message #193568] Mon, 18 September 2006 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
sirishatalwar wrote on Mon, 18 September 2006 11:27

What is meant by Migration, .....
Try the last entry here:-
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861630011
Quote:

..... in which stage it is done by Functional consulant, .....
It is done during the Migration stage
Quote:

..... can i get the implication of Migration
For the Functional Consultant, it usually means Data Migration, which means you have to ask "What data do we have to migrate from the legacy system to the new system?". For GL, it will be all of the account balances, for AP and AR it will be all of the open invoices (although some organisations will want to try to take closed invoices as well), for FA it will be all assets still in service. Note that the GL balances will already include all of the information already in the sub-ledger, e.g. for a Payables Invoice, the expense has already been charged on a Distribution Line, and the Liability has already been recorded too. If you feed this invoice into AP in the normal way, it will update the GL again, thus double-counting the expense and the liability.

What you might do is have one Payables Expense Migration Control Account and one Payables Liability Migration Control Account for data migration, then post to these on the migration invoices only. Then take the balance on the AP Control Account on the legacy system and debit the Payables Liability Migration Control Account and credit the Payables Expense Migration Control Account. If all of the invoices have been migrated properly, the two Payables Migration Control Accounts will now have a zero balance. Keep separate Migration Control Accounts for each sub-ledger.

Cool HTH

David
Re: Migration [message #193631 is a reply to message #193568] Mon, 18 September 2006 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sirishatalwar

David,

thanks a lot for ur prompt reply....

so kind of u...

rgds/sirisha
Re: Migration [message #210770 is a reply to message #193627] Fri, 22 December 2006 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumar_apps
Hi Friend

thnks a lot for the explaination on this topic, really useful stuff.

kumar
Re: Migration [message #210773 is a reply to message #210770] Fri, 22 December 2006 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumar_apps
Hi David,

Thnks lot for the explaination on the topic, I still need bit more explaination in this regard that how opening balances will be brought into application(GL), and also pls. explain how to find the a specific ledger/account balance as and when required.

Thanks in advance.

kumar
Re: Migration [message #210830 is a reply to message #210773] Fri, 22 December 2006 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sujatha_mu
Kumar,

how opening balances will be brought into application(GL):

In most of the cases client gives you a Trail Balance as on a cut off date.In GL enter a JV manually taking all the debit and credit balances.

how to find the a specific ledger/account balance as and when required:

Can use account inquiry form for the same.

Regards

Sujatha

Re: Migration [message #211053 is a reply to message #210830] Mon, 25 December 2006 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumar_apps
Hi Sujata

thank u for the respons, can u pls. explain me about front end & back end migration tools briefly. Also pls. let me know the tools which are required to be known by the functional consultants.

Thanks in advance.
Kumar
Dataload related query(segment values) [message #211055 is a reply to message #211053] Mon, 25 December 2006 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumar_apps
Hi Sujata

Require your help regarding the excel sheets which are provided in the datalod site is not matching with the form(i.e.11.5.10.2) hence the values are not loading properly. Couldn't we create an excel sheet of a segment values window which is having values(of all accounting heads) which i need to upload into my value set through dataload.

regards
Kumar
Re: Migration [message #211105 is a reply to message #211053] Tue, 26 December 2006 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumar_apps
Hi Sujata

Can u pls. provide 'ACCOUNT SEGMENT VALUES' excel sheet which contains of default natural account segment values of 'ACCOUNT' value set provided by oracle apps, so that I can upload the same through dataload into my application.

thanks and regards
kumar
Re: Migration [message #212017 is a reply to message #211105] Wed, 03 January 2007 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
kumar_apps wrote on Tue, 26 December 2006 05:18
Require your help regarding the excel sheets which are provided in the datalod site is not matching with the form(i.e.11.5.10.2) hence the values are not loading properly. Couldn't we create an excel sheet of a segment values window which is having values(of all accounting heads) which i need to upload into my value set through dataload.

The DataLoad Spreadsheets have been provided by other users of DataLoad, based on the version of the forms on their systems at the time they wrote them. Those users may not have the time to update the spreadsheets for every new release of the forms that are published. However, they should be close enough that you can take them and modify them yourself for the latest version and to meet your own accounting requirements.

kumar_apps wrote on Tue, 26 December 2006 12:35
Can u pls. provide 'ACCOUNT SEGMENT VALUES' excel sheet which contains of default natural account segment values of 'ACCOUNT' value set provided by oracle apps, so that I can upload the same through dataload into my application.

Each organisation will have its own requirements for the Natural Account segment. Some will have 4 characters, some 5, some 6, some more, some less. Some will have to conform to a national standard (like the French PCG), some will have a list imposed by the group, some will have free choice. So nobody can provide what you ask. You will have to build your own.

Cool HTH

David
pls. explain how to raise a SR(Service request) in apps and metalink as well - [message #212450 is a reply to message #212017] Fri, 05 January 2007 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumar_apps
Hi David,

Thanks for your response to my previous queries regarding dataload, and now I am ok with dataload file uploading procedure.

Now, my request is to pls. explain me the complete procedure of raising a service request(means what are the modules/responsibilities and profile options needs to be activated), and how to log the same in metalink site.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards
Kumar
pls. explain how to raise a SR(Service request) in apps and metalink as well - [message #212451 is a reply to message #210830] Fri, 05 January 2007 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumar_apps
Hi Sujata,

Thanks for your response to my previous queries regarding dataload, and now I am ok with dataload file uploading procedure.

Now, my request is to pls. explain me the complete procedure of raising a service request(means what are the modules/responsibilities and profile options needs to be activated), and how to log the same in metalink site.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards
Kumar
Re: pls. explain how to raise a SR(Service request) in apps and metalink as well - [message #212469 is a reply to message #212450] Fri, 05 January 2007 08:29 Go to previous message
David.K.Dickson
kumar_apps wrote on Fri, 05 January 2007 11:59

This started out as a thread called "Migration", went through a phase of discussing DataLoad and now has become a discussion on MetaLink. Not a good idea. While there is a farily clear link between Migration and DataLoad, the connection to MetaLink is not so clear. In future, can you please start a new thread when changing topics?

Log on to MetaLink at https://metalink.oracle.com/ and, at the time of writing, under Headlines you will see an article entitled "New Customers Start Here - Information Now Available for Anyone New to MetaLink or Oracle Support", last updated 22-DEC-2006. Clicking on this will take you to Note 374370.1 which will tell you everything you need to know about MetaLink.

If you don't yet have a login to MetaLink ask your APPS DBA for your Oracle CSI (Customer Support Identifier) then go to the MetaLink URL above and register as a new user. It is pretty straightforward.

Cool HTH

David
Previous Topic: Self Service Timecard (OTL)
Next Topic: BR100 documents and MD 50 document
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 16:41:48 CDT 2024