Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications
Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #193041] Thu, 14 September 2006 11:38 Go to next message
Debanjan_chat
Hi,

Can someone please let me know the steps which I need to do in order to upload data from excel into Oracle Applications using DataLoad?

I have some HR data and some Projects data. I have installed the DataLoad on my desktop, but not sure how to go ahead using it. I guess I need to create some dld files which are individual form specific and then load the data into it.
But how do I create such dld files? Also can I upload data without opening up the Application, ie by providing database connect string, etc.?

Regards.
Re: Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #193160 is a reply to message #193041] Fri, 15 September 2006 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vin_odks
Hi,

DATALOADER is a tool used to upload data though the front -end.
Basically it is like using a macro.

Basic steps

1) Navigate to the Application screen and rehearse the Key strokes and Data entry.

2) Create a similar Key strokes commands in the data loader file.

3) There two kinds of columns in Data loader - Data columns and Key definition (Key Strokes) columns.

4) Once the definition is made, Copy the data from Excel and paste it into the relevant data columns of the Dataloader.

5) Open the application screen. Select the Name of the screen in the data loader Source field and then start the upload.

For more info on key strokes, go to the help menu of the data loader.

Regards
Vinod

Re: Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #193208 is a reply to message #193160] Fri, 15 September 2006 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Debanjan_chat
Thanks Vinod for your reply.

I have one very important query - Can I upload data into Oracle Applications through DataLoad, without opening up the Applicatios, ie maybe be providing the connect string, etc.?

Re: Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #193211 is a reply to message #193041] Fri, 15 September 2006 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vin_odks
Hi,

No you cannot . The application screen has to be opened in order to upload.

If you wish to upload from back end . use SQL Loader instead.

Regards
Vinod
Re: Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #193284 is a reply to message #193041] Fri, 15 September 2006 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
Also, there is a "Downloads" tab on the DataLoad site at http://www.dataload.net/ where you will find a "QuickStart User Guide" and several "Pre-Built Spreadsheets". There may even be a Pre-Built Spreadsheet to do what you are trying to do.

There is also a DataLoad Forum at http://www.dataload.net/forum/ where you can review problems/questions that other users have encountered. I am a moderator on the DataLoad Forum, and will always do my best to help new users to get started.

Cool Welcome to the wonderful world of DataLoad.

David
Re: Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #193290 is a reply to message #193160] Fri, 15 September 2006 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
vin_odks wrote on Fri, 15 September 2006 08:01

3) There two kinds of columns in Data loader - Data columns and Key definition (Key Strokes) columns.

Bored I hate to be pernickety, but actually there are three kinds of columns. You forgot the Commands, such as TAB, ENT, *SAVE, *SP, *SL and many more.

David
Re: Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #193318 is a reply to message #193208] Fri, 15 September 2006 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
Debanjan_chat wrote on Fri, 15 September 2006 11:17

Can I upload data into Oracle Applications through DataLoad, without opening up the Applicatios, ie maybe be providing the connect string, etc.?

I am not quite sure why you are asking this question. Is it because when you use DataLoad Classic to do an upload, you cannot use the PC to do anything else at the same time, and sometimes it can take a long time?

If that is the case, you might want to take a look at DataLoad Professional. First, you use DataLoad Professional to make Oracle Forms create a "record" file of two or three example records, which allows DataLoad Professional to work out what you are doing. You then open the "record" file using DataLoad Professional and it creates a much simpler spreadsheet than DataLoad Classic. You then add as many new records as you like Exclamation to the spreadsheet and save the result as a "playback" file. You then tell DataLoad Professional to play back, which makes Oracle Forms read the "playback" file (on the server) and process it (on the server). Because the real work is being done on the server, all the PC is doing is providing the display, not processing the data. This means that DataLoad Professional processes data at about 20 times the speed of DataLoad Classic and does not tie up your PC while it does so. I have used DataLoad Professional to load Cross-segment Validation Rules Elements at a rate of over 1700 per hour, or over 2 per second, while I have been reading email, posting answers on this forum and even doing updates in the Oracle Applications on the same PC.

Exclamation Earlier on, I said that "You then add as many new records as you like". Well, that is true when you have bought a licence for DataLoad Professional. The Classic (free) version will allow you to record and play back, but it is limited to a file size of only five records, which is ideal for a proof-of-concept, but not for production work. This means that you can try it out for free, and if it works, and you like it, then you can pay the licence fee. If you don't like it, all it has cost you is your time. If you can't get it to work, then browse the DataLoad Forum to see if somebody has solved the same problem before. If not, then post an entry on the forum and somebody (probably me, as a DataLoad Forum Moderator) will do their best to help you.

Cool HTH

David.
Re: Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #193566 is a reply to message #193318] Mon, 18 September 2006 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Debanjan_chat
Thanks a lot David. You detailed replies gave me a very good understanding of Data Loader.

Yes currently I am using the Classic version of DataLoad for some Proof of Concepts.

The main reason why I enquired whether I could upload data into Oracle Applications through DataLoad, without opening up the Applications - is because in the Production environment, we would have access only to the Database and not to the Application.

So I was just trying to understand whether DataLoader (Classic or Professional) could upload data without Oracle Applications forms remaining open. ie I am comparing between Data Loader and ADIs.

Regards.
Re: Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #193621 is a reply to message #193566] Mon, 18 September 2006 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
Debanjan_chat wrote on Mon, 18 September 2006 11:22

..... The main reason why I enquired whether I could upload data into Oracle Applications through DataLoad, without opening up the Applications - is because in the Production environment, we would have access only to the Database and not to the Application.

I am intrigued. Why would you not have access to the Applications in Production? Maybe I shouldn't ask.

Still, I am glad that I have been able to help, and if I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.

David.
Re: Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #193638 is a reply to message #193621] Mon, 18 September 2006 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Debanjan_chat
Yes David, that's the standard process followed by the Client.

You have not addressed my main question - Whether uploading data by Data Loader is possible without the Applications open.

Vinod has already confirmed that it's not possible, but still thought of re-confirming.

Regards.
icon7.gif  Re: Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #193704 is a reply to message #193290] Tue, 19 September 2006 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vin_odks
David.K.Dickson wrote on Fri, 15 September 2006 20:38

vin_odks wrote on Fri, 15 September 2006 08:01

Bored I hate to be pernickety, but actually there are three kinds of columns. You forgot the Commands, such as TAB, ENT, *SAVE, *SP, *SL and many more.

David

Oops !! I just tried to summarize to a beginner!!!

Regards
Vinod
Re: Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #193766 is a reply to message #193638] Tue, 19 September 2006 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
Debanjan_chat wrote on Mon, 18 September 2006 17:26

You have not addressed my main question - Whether uploading data by Data Loader is possible without the Applications open.
Vinod was quite right. You cannot (to my knowledge) load data using DataLoad without opening the Oracle Forms.

Cool I know that this is probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but I hope that it helps.

David.
Re: Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #193768 is a reply to message #193704] Tue, 19 September 2006 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
vin_odks wrote on Tue, 19 September 2006 07:28

Oops !! I just tried to summarize to a beginner!!!

Laughing Sorry, Vinod! My comment was meant to be taken light-heartedly. No offence intended, honest!

David
Re: Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #193978 is a reply to message #193768] Wed, 20 September 2006 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Debanjan_chat
Thanks David and Vinod for your prompt responses.

Regards.
Re: Using Dataload to upload data into Oracle Applications [message #211381 is a reply to message #193041] Thu, 28 December 2006 05:28 Go to previous message
kumar_apps
thanks to davind and vinod

fortunately this discussion thread also answers few of my questions which I am looking for.

regards
kumar
Previous Topic: OracleConcMgrVIS can not start!
Next Topic: Integration of different modules in oracle apps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 17:07:58 CDT 2024