Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » General Ledger Account Segment
General Ledger Account Segment [message #184131] Tue, 25 July 2006 08:35 Go to next message
rsury
Hi,

We are using oracle apps for the past 5 years or so. Now we need to modify the account segment. Please let me know how the follwogin can be done.

1. Add a new segment
2. Increase the size of existing segment.

Thanks for all the reply in advance.

Re: General Ledger Account Segment [message #184140 is a reply to message #184131] Tue, 25 July 2006 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
It is my understanding that changes like this to an existing Accounting Flexfield are not possible. However, if anybody knows otherwise, please feel free to correct me.

Arrow To add another segment, you will have to define a new Accounting Flexfield containing all of the original segments plus the new one.

Arrow You cannot increase the size of an existing segment. You must define a new segment. To use this new segment you will have to define a new Accounting Flexfield containing all of the original segments, but with the new larger one replacing the original smaller one.

In either case, you have to define a new Accounting Flexfield, and the code combinations are not going to contain any values. You will have to write a program to read the old code combinations and create postings for the new code combinations. That is the high-level view. It totally ignores the sub-ledgers. I suggest that you do some serious investigation, planning, testing and costing before you commit the business to going down this route.

Exclamation The difficulty in changing the Accounting Flexfield is why good implementors place so much emphasis on getting the Chart Of Accounts design right before going live, with room for change as the business grows.

Sad Sorry, but this is probably not the answer you wanted to hear.

Cool HTH

David.
Re: General Ledger Account Segment [message #184178 is a reply to message #184140] Tue, 25 July 2006 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agostino_neto
David,
Why should he write a program to read the old code combinations and create postings for the new code combinations?
Are you suggesting re-implementing all modules (extracting and loading all data) ?
---
Can we not imagine that the fiscal year is closed and then new entries are made on the new Accounting Flexfield ?
Perhaps in this case a new set of books can be created and old data could be accessed using a specific responsibility and old programs...
---
A third solution not supported by Oracle would be changing necessary information from back end.
Re: General Ledger Account Segment [message #184182 is a reply to message #184178] Tue, 25 July 2006 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
Sorry, you are quite right. If you use the new Accounting Flexfield for a new fiscal year, and you do not need to compare this year with last year on one screen, then you do not need to copy or convert any data.

However, the last time that I was asked this question, the user wanted to have both this year and last year data on the same code combination.

Embarassed I should be more careful when I answer questions like this!

David.
Re: General Ledger Account Segment [message #184187 is a reply to message #184182] Tue, 25 July 2006 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rsury
There are reports that need to show data of prev. year / prev.qtr. In that case do you say that adding a new acct. flex field will not be suffice.

Anyway. Can you please list step by step what needs to be done.

Thanks
Re: General Ledger Account Segment [message #184356 is a reply to message #184187] Wed, 26 July 2006 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
rsury wrote on Tue, 25 July 2006 18:13

There are reports that need to show data of prev. year / prev.qtr. In that case do you say that adding a new acct. flex field will not be suffice.

If the reports are produced using FSG, and they are simple reports (each line in the Row Set prints no more than one line on the report), then it should be possible to retrieve data from both the old and the new Accounting Flexfield using the "Set of Books" field on the Row. First, retrieve the value(s) from the old SOB with the "Display Row" option unchecked, then retrieve the value(s) from the new SOB with the "Display Row" option checked. The FSG should now print the sum of the values from both SOB's.
rsury wrote on Tue, 25 July 2006 18:13

Anyway. Can you please list step by step what needs to be done.

Yes, I could probably try, but in case I miss something, I am going to suggest that you read the "Setup" chapter of the General Ledger User's Guide, concentrating on the "Planning and Installation" section. If you don't have a copy of the General Ledger User's Guide, it can be downloaded, with all of the other Applications Documentation from http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/applications.html. If you can find the GL Setup document (BR100?) from your original implementation, that would help you, too.

If you have not been involved in an Oracle General Ledger implementation before, then you really want to seek the services of somebody who has, either to do the work for/with you or to review your design. Whether you take that advice or not is up to you, but please don't ignore the following advice:

Arrow Make sure that you set up TEST system to test your design and make sure that it delivers what the business requires. Make sure that the interfaces all work. Make sure that all of the other Oracle Applications (e.g. Payables, Receivables, Fixed Assets, Purchasing, Inventory, HR, etc., etc.) all still work.

Exclamation Basically, you are looking at something close to a complete re-implementation. Treat it with the appropriate respect. Make sure that it is properly planned and costed before you start. It is not a 5-minute job or even a 5-day job.

Cool HTH

David.
Re: General Ledger Account Segment [message #211168 is a reply to message #184356] Tue, 26 December 2006 23:29 Go to previous message
kumar_apps
Hi David,

Thanks a lot for the useful stuff

regards
Kumar
Previous Topic: Why do we assign calendars at shipping>setup>calendars>assign
Next Topic: same bank in multiple operating units
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 17:30:23 CDT 2024