Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Advice Needed-Free space in tablespace for performance
Advice Needed-Free space in tablespace for performance [message #182504] Sat, 15 July 2006 16:51 Go to next message
dba-k
Could anybody provide some thoughts about the free space inside an Oracle database. Does the
amount of free space inside the tablespace containing all the tables inside an OLTP Production
database affect its performance.

Should there be a threshold for free space on the disk where the datafiles are located. As the SYSTEM
and UNDO tablespaces are on AUTOEXTEND mode, is it possible to find how much space they would swell
on at the worst peak.

And lastly, is it better to increase the datafile size or add another datafile to increase tablespace size.
The database in question is an OLTP Production database on Oracle 9205 & Solaris 5.8

Please do let me know if there is any other info that I missed to provide here.
Thanks in advance...
Re: Advice Needed-Free space in tablespace for performance [message #182525 is a reply to message #182504] Sun, 16 July 2006 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>Does the amount of free space inside the >>tablespace containing all the tables inside an >>OLTP Production
>>database affect its performance.
No. But HWM does.
Search the forum for HWM (high water mark)
>>As the SYSTEM and UNDO tablespaces are on >>AUTOEXTEND mode, is it possible to find how much >>space they would swell on at the worst peak.
Not possible.
Having the tablespaces in autoextend mode is not a good idea. At some point, you will be running out of disk space. System tablespace is not supposed to grow "out-of-control".
>>And lastly, is it better to increase the datafile size or add another datafile to increase tablespace size.
Does not matter ( in terms of performance).
Does matter in terms of administration. Compare this. Backing up a really large file or multiple small files.
Re: Advice Needed-Free space in tablespace for performance [message #182588 is a reply to message #182525] Mon, 17 July 2006 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
Quote:

Having the tablespaces in autoextend mode is not a good idea. At some point, you will be running out of disk space. System tablespace is not supposed to grow "out-of-control".

I must politely take issue with this statement.
If you have set the maximum size that the tablespace can grow to to be within the capacity of your disk system, then on balance I feel that auto extend is worth it.

The downside is that you ill take longer to spot a problem causing a tablespace to grow uncontrolably, but these are rare in my experience.

The upside is that your system will not suddenly grind to a halt and start displaying errors to every user atempting to insert a record because you were on holiday and the tablespace needed extending unexpectedly.

On balance, I feel the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
Re: Advice Needed-Free space in tablespace for performance [message #182620 is a reply to message #182588] Mon, 17 July 2006 06:49 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
You are right. But the root issue is still there.
If i am on a holiday, if the disk runs out-of-space or if the datafile reaches the the maximum size with autoextentd on, i still cannot do anything. Worse, i do not have a local disk space to add/extend the datafile. I Should call my Unix/System Support guys ( Specifically in my case, we are using SAN. For every new slice i need, i have to ask them ahead)
In a production environment, i prefer to monitor the tablespace usage closely, instead of having surprises.
And again, yes. It is rare case.
Only in a controlled conditions (like data loading, export/import where actual size to be used is unknown) it is OK to have autoextend on, so that data loading process may not halt.
Regards
Previous Topic: Query takes 2.5 Hrs to run!!!!!!
Next Topic: how can increase buffer hit ratio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 06:09:09 CDT 2024