Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Slow insertions  () 1 Vote
Slow insertions [message #181585] Mon, 10 July 2006 13:14 Go to next message
davidnirvano
Hello Im running Oracle 9.2.0.1 on Solaris 9.

Im having some performance and tuning problems, since I have a gateway that is inserting aroung 20K events daily ... I can see the events in Oracle but they are at least 1 day delayed. If I check now (1:01 PM) I ll see the latest event on Oracle as 08:17 PM yesterday. If I wait until tommorow I will see the today's events but then, the current events will be 1 day delayed ....

I understand that this is a tune problem, but I dont have any DBA knowledge, so do you know how can I run a report on Oracle which is able to tell me what settings, variables, values I should change in order to insert my events live and not delayed ???? or ask me for some parameters and then any of you can tell me if the are well set or not.

Thanks.
David Ramos
Re: Slow insertions [message #181602 is a reply to message #181585] Mon, 10 July 2006 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Art Metzer
Is your process issuing a COMMIT? When?
Re: Slow insertions [message #182696 is a reply to message #181602] Mon, 17 July 2006 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davidnirvano
Yes, it has a commit each time a packet of events is sent to the DB, lets say each 150 events gathered, the info is sent to Oracle and a commit is performed.

Thanks.
Re: Slow insertions [message #182722 is a reply to message #182696] Mon, 17 July 2006 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Inserting 20.000 records daily doesn't seem to be too much for Oracle.

Is INSERT the only database activity? Are there some background processes you aren't aware of? For example, the table that is being inserted into is huge and time needed to rebuild (many?) indexes is long; you are querying a materialized view instead of original table, and refresh time is once or twice a day?
Re: Slow insertions [message #182727 is a reply to message #182722] Mon, 17 July 2006 16:59 Go to previous message
davidnirvano
Well, this performance issue seems to be resolved but I have a new question regarding tablespaces (used to solve the problem).
It had a limit of 999 autoextends which was reached and the tablespace wasnt growing anymore... then I had to extend the tablespace size manually to the twice with an alter command making the gateway write again to the DB (the tablespace was full), I changed the autoextend size to be 100 MB, but I have this doubt. Since it has reached the 999 autoextent limit, and I cant not redefine a new tablespace I have to use the same one, will it grow again by 100MB which I changed the autoextend size to be once it reaches the 100% of use and it needs to autoextend again ???? Or it wont grow automatically any more since the 999 limit was reached before???

Thanks
Previous Topic: Traceroute and DBLINK
Next Topic: plz help me
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 12:06:26 CDT 2024