Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » Weblogic & Application Server » Manipulating the URL
Manipulating the URL [message #169715] Fri, 28 April 2006 06:35 Go to next message
cmaclellan
I am trying to hide parts of the url for our website. currently the url is

http://servername.domanname.ca/portal/page/portal/pagegroup/webpage

i would like to use aliases, virtual hosts, or whatever will work in order to change the url to something more like

http://www.domainname.ca/webpage

I know this can be done, but I have looked through the documentation and have been unable to find any useful information.
Re: Manipulating the URL [message #169992 is a reply to message #169715] Mon, 01 May 2006 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cmaclellan
no one know's how to change the url from the complicated oracle version to a simpler user-friendly version?
Re: Manipulating the URL [message #170020 is a reply to message #169715] Mon, 01 May 2006 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cmaclellan
in order to remove the "/portal/page/portal/" I tried to use a URL rewrite rule.

I put RewriteRule ^/(.*)$/portal/page/portal/$1 [PT] at the bottom of my httpd.conf file and added /portal/page/portal/ and / to my portal builder url rewrite urls for that page group. however, the page still shows up as normal

http://servername.domainname.ca/portal/page/portal/pagegroup/page

Can someone tell me where I went wrong?

Also, would using a virtual host be the best way to hide the servername from the url and simply make it display www? I have been playing around with this, but have been unsuccessful in getting it to hide the server name
Re: Manipulating the URL [message #170026 is a reply to message #169715] Mon, 01 May 2006 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cmaclellan
i was able to get the url rewrite working by using
/home/ instead of just a /

i'm still wondering about changing the server name in the url simply to www though
Re: Manipulating the URL [message #174028 is a reply to message #169715] Thu, 25 May 2006 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
madchaz
this needs to be done via DNS, not on the actual server. This will allow your server to be known as www.domain.com

To get rid of the part after the .com, the simplest way to do this would be to have a redirect page, so that when people go to www.yourdomain.com/webpage, they get redirected to the long oracle url.
Re: Manipulating the URL [message #174063 is a reply to message #174028] Thu, 25 May 2006 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cmaclellan
I was able to get the first part of the url showing up just fine. it now shows up as www.domain.ca

I can, using portal url rewrite and rewriterules in the httpd.conf file, replace /portal/page/portal/pagegroup with say /home. However, I would like it to not show anything after the www.domain.ca when the user is on the main page.

I have tried to set my URL Rewriterule in portal as:
Search Pattern: /portal/page/portal/PageGroup
Replace Pattern: /

and my apache (httpd.conf) rule as:
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ /portal/page/portal/PageGroup$1 [PT]

However, this setup gives me an error, and the portal pages do not display. What should I put for my rules so that that i can get rid of the extra parts of the url?

Would a redirect page leave out the extra parts after the / even if a user clicked on a link on that page that went to a subpage.
Re: Manipulating the URL [message #174064 is a reply to message #174063] Thu, 25 May 2006 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
madchaz
Why not use a frame?

You could setup a simple index page at the root of your server that includes nothing but a frame for the page you are trying to display.

This would also avoid any errors with the code in the page expecting itself to be in one place when it is actualy in another.

Re: Manipulating the URL [message #174503 is a reply to message #174064] Mon, 29 May 2006 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cmaclellan
interesting idea.

wouldn't that never show anything after the www.domain.ca though?

i would like it so if the user clicked on a link to "webstuff" which would be a page in the same pagegroup as the main page to show up as www.domain.ca/webstuff. would this work with your frame idea?
Re: Manipulating the URL [message #174728 is a reply to message #174503] Tue, 30 May 2006 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
madchaz
Unfortunatly, no, it would not change how your URLs show inside the page itself.

If you look at www.madchaz.com, you can see how it works.

Why exactly are you trying to do this? It might help proposing solutions if we know the goal Smile
Re: Manipulating the URL [message #175472 is a reply to message #174728] Fri, 02 June 2006 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cmaclellan
sounds good.

our goal is to have the domain show up simply as "www.domain.ca" then when a page is clicked to have the subpages show up as "www.domain.ca/page/nextpage"

right now i have our main page and the links from that page (the 'tabs' and other things) all in one pagegroup. the subpages for the tabs are subpages under those pages so those will work fine as long as i can get the main pages is the home of the pagegroup setup.

this is why i though a url rewrite would work best since i just need to get rid of the initial junk in the url "/portal/page/portal/PageGroup" and replace it with nothing so that my url show's up nicely.

hopefully this makes some sence to you.
Re: Manipulating the URL [message #175796 is a reply to message #175472] Mon, 05 June 2006 07:07 Go to previous message
madchaz
that would be harder, as it does need a lot of that internal stuff to work.

Previous Topic: The application URL will not open in new window
Next Topic: OC4J_BI_Forms stop
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:58:49 CDT 2024