Home » Applications » Other Application Suites » Migration from sybase to oracle ....
Migration from sybase to oracle .... [message #169567] Thu, 27 April 2006 10:42
frank.svs

Hi Team,

I am doing a Database Migration from Sybase to oracle. I have used the Oracle's Migration Workbench tool. I just tested some few tables and some stored procedures.Its working fine.But still we have to do the production server Migration.Before that i need some suggestions from all the senior members. That i want a checklist regarding what are things should be kept in mind while migration any kind of database to oracle.(For example ,tables,constraints,indexes,stored procedures etc) What else we must take care. Because there some features in Sybase like IDENTITY property of a table etc.. etc. So what type of precautions should be taken care before starting the migration process. And one more thing is that i've used migration work bench but i have some doubts regarding migration process thru Workbench tool.

For example in Sybase i've a user called "sa" and
database name is "test". Now i created one user exclusively for storing workbench repository and i granted the DBA role to him. and then i also created one more user called "sybaseusr" so that i wanted to dump all the objects of "sa" user in Sybase to this user in Oracle database.But what happened is that Workbench has reposited the repository correctly but the objects were created exactly the same "sa" user which was automatically created by the migration workbench.
but in Migration wizard it has aked for username,pwd,tablespacename etc there i've supplied as "sybaseusr" thinking that all objects will getb created under this user account. But what happened is different. i.e it automatically created the "sa" user same as Sybase database user and not only it also created "sybaseusr" but without any objects in it. And one more thing i've obsereved is that automatically one more tablespace with name "sybaseusr" has been created.

So with some i've issued the following sql stmt:
select segment_name,table_spacename,owner from dba_segments where tablespace_name='sybaseusr';

i've obeserved all the data objects have created in the "sybaseusr" tablespace. But there are no objects in "sybasusr". What i've done i simply dropped that useraccount. is that ok. beause the objects are found under "sa" user which is again automatically created by Migration workbench.

If any suggestions please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Previous Topic: Sybase to Oracle Conversion
Next Topic: Migration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:48:36 CDT 2024