Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Same query , Same database - Different performances ??
icon9.gif  Same query , Same database - Different performances ?? [message #157259] Wed, 01 February 2006 05:28 Go to next message
aditya_itc
Hi gurus,

I have a query which runs under the production database.
At times it takes 3 seconds to run and at times around 5 or 6 or 7 seconds.

What could be the possible reason ?
The database is the same, the data is same, then why the difference ??

Thanks in advance,
Aditya
Re: Same query , Same database - Different performances ?? [message #157283 is a reply to message #157259] Wed, 01 February 2006 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
No oracle version, no os/hardware information, no query information,no plan, no statistics, no statspack report ,no traceoutput no nothing.
With the wealth of information you have provided,we can have no better idea than you have!.
>>At times it takes 3 seconds to run and at times around 5 or 6 or 7 seconds
You think this is big difference?
Does it increase if the volume of data handled is increase?
Re: Same query , Same database - Different performances ?? [message #157290 is a reply to message #157259] Wed, 01 February 2006 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Art Metzer
If seven seconds versus three seconds is truly worth your effort, then I would run a 10046 trace profiler (like this free one) to see what I was waiting for in the seven-second case that I wasn't waiting for in the three-second case.
Re: Same query , Same database - Different performances ?? [message #157325 is a reply to message #157290] Wed, 01 February 2006 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
How lucky you are, that all you have to worry about is an increase from 3 to 5-7 seconds.
Is the server-load the same? The number of users? The number of queries they fire? Are the same long-running queries running?
Could be that some data is aged out of the cache, which would show as an increase in performance when you resubmit the query.

So many possible causes. (But it hardly seems worth it)
Re: Same query , Same database - Different performances ?? [message #157545 is a reply to message #157325] Fri, 03 February 2006 02:38 Go to previous message
aditya_itc
Thanx Frank,

Your reply has given me a lot of input !!!

Rgds,
Aditya
Previous Topic: statistics - to Update or Not
Next Topic: help plzz, oracle slow response
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:11:53 CDT 2024