Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » How to tune a sql query to make it run faster ...
icon5.gif  How to tune a sql query to make it run faster ... [message #150837] Sat, 10 December 2005 15:54 Go to next message
amankhan
Hi Guys,

I am very new to this tuning of sql queries. It is taking a lot of time to run a query and give the output. I have a tool called TOAD[ Tool for oracle application development ] and i ran a query in that tool. Its showing that the query is taking 7sec to get its output. I donno the exact procedure what to follow in order to tune that query. What are these actually like : explain plan, sqltrace, tkprof and how to use these to tune the query. I want my query to run faster like in msec.

Help Appreciated.

Thanks
Re: How to tune a sql query to make it run faster ... [message #150841 is a reply to message #150837] Sat, 10 December 2005 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I want my query to run faster like in msec.
I want a million dollars.
There are whole books on the topic of Tuning SQL.
I suggest you try to RTFM.
Google & AMAZON.COM are your friend, but only if YOU use them
Re: How to tune a sql query to make it run faster ... [message #150885 is a reply to message #150837] Sun, 11 December 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Art Metzer
To you I would highly recommend the book Optimizing Oracle Performance by Millsap/Holt. To find out how to optimize your query, you need to know what it is you're waiting for.

On that page, there is also a link to the PDF of Chapter 1.

You can thank me later.
Re: How to tune a sql query to make it run faster ... [message #150932 is a reply to message #150885] Mon, 12 December 2005 01:25 Go to previous message
rleishman
If you want something a bit cheaper, take a look at My Website. It's absolutely free (and worth every penny, some would say Wink)

Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:55:23 CDT 2024