Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Automatic Workload Repository(AWR) and ADDM
Automatic Workload Repository(AWR) and ADDM [message #150210] Tue, 06 December 2005 14:14 Go to next message
pzlj6x

I would like to test this feature on my local compuuter where I have Oracle 10g installed with a small size database. All I have is sample HR schema in it.

Using EM, I ran the AWR, it created a snapshot and then using ADDM, I would like to see the performance analysis. Since I don't have much data and nothing is running, therefore I don't see any details of ADDM.

Is there a way or script to test and analyze and therefore I learn out it.

Any idea or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ravi
Re: Automatic Workload Repository(AWR) and ADDM [message #150219 is a reply to message #150210] Tue, 06 December 2005 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
It is inherrently difficult to view/test/examine monitoring software and tools when there is no database activity to actually monitor. So you have to either painfully simulate activity and data, or better yet, just monitor a real system.

The good news is that there really isn't much to learn, I mean it shows you usage information and various stats, it is relatively self-explanatory and documented well (I believe, from what I have seen, as I too havn't fully tested as I don't have a place to run it right now).
Re: Automatic Workload Repository(AWR) and ADDM [message #150221 is a reply to message #150210] Tue, 06 December 2005 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pzlj6x
Thanks for the response. I am basically preparing for the Oracle 10g-exam#1. When going through the text book, I understand the most and at the same wanted to have some hands on experience. I wonder how the Oracle workshop class on 10g set up to show the same to trainees. I presume, they (oracle tutors ) must have created some sort of scripts which will insert/update/delete records simultaneously where disk I/O impact can be observed.

Thanks
Ravi

[Updated on: Tue, 06 December 2005 15:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Automatic Workload Repository(AWR) and ADDM [message #150222 is a reply to message #150210] Tue, 06 December 2005 15:42 Go to previous message
smartin
Yeah...or maybe they ran their reports against real systems and preserved the reported output and statistics?

"Given a certain application, the following report was generated. If you look at line blah it shows that there were blah disk reads, which you might interpret to mean blah"

I dunno, I'm just guessing. To me the important thing would be to learn the concepts about how statistical data is captured and rolled up.
Previous Topic: Difference in the plan output
Next Topic: Database Performance Tuning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:23:08 CDT 2024