Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » priority query
priority query [message #148713] Sat, 26 November 2005 19:09 Go to next message
rkl1
Hi guys: here is some thing I am searching around. Is there a way we can put priority on the query. To make it clear, let's say, there are two users A and B. Can We put an oracle curse on user A so that his query will be always given a low priority and takes longer time to run compared to user B even if they both running the same query.

I am wondering,if we script a sql query and embeded inside a korn script and fire with a high nice value, does it lower down its priority and takes longer time to complete. My assumption that when the user running the query inside a korn subshell, it is an unix process and if we put a high nice value, then it would get less attention from kernel (cpu) and so run slower. Correct me please on this issue.

thanks.
Re: priority query [message #148819 is a reply to message #148713] Mon, 28 November 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Changing process level priority is not recomended ( Or may be just my paranoia. I had bitter experiences).
Did you try with Resource Manager?

Re: priority query [message #148821 is a reply to message #148819] Mon, 28 November 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Mahesh wrote:

Or may be just my paranoia

No, it's not you Smile
Changing priority at OS-level will cause locks to be held longer etc.
Bad idea.
Re: priority query [message #149202 is a reply to message #148713] Wed, 30 November 2005 09:16 Go to previous message
smartin
Agreed, use profiles where you can control cpu and memory and other resource utilization at the user level.
Previous Topic: hints on views
Next Topic: Perfomance problem with partition table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:47:27 CDT 2024