Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » execute immediate with bind variables
execute immediate with bind variables [message #148491] Thu, 24 November 2005 08:18 Go to next message
vgs2005
hi,

I have to optimize a PL/SQL code, it has lots of INSERT operations on same table wherein is a constant change on 4 column values to insert. Example:

It goes like:
INSERT INTO TABA VALUES (a, b, c, '1', '2', '3', '4');
INSERT INTO TABA VALUES (a, b, c, '3', '8', '7', '5');
INSERT INTO TABA VALUES (a, b, c, '5', '5', '8', '44');

Will the performance improve if I replace them with:
EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 
('INSERT INTO TABA VALUES (a, b, c, :b1, :b2, :b3, :b4)')
USING ..

Re: execute immediate with bind variables [message #148492 is a reply to message #148491] Thu, 24 November 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Scalability will improve, as will (probably, not for sure) the performance.
Note however that you cannot use the variables(?) a, b and c as you did. You will have to bind them in as well.

hth
Re: execute immediate with bind variables [message #149018 is a reply to message #148491] Tue, 29 November 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Wait...no, if I'm reading the OP correctly then it won't help at all, won't matter; if anything hurt, by using dynamic sql when static would do.

Bind variables only come into play when using dynamic sql, or sql statements passed in as a string of text for instance from a java program. If the sql statements exist already inside plsql code as static statements, then oracle takes care of the binding and the sharing for you, no need to use bind variables.

(of course the best thing to do is to test it both ways and check the parsing, maybe someone can do that for us or point to where it has been done before. Or maybe I can after my meeting).
Re: execute immediate with bind variables [message #149071 is a reply to message #149018] Tue, 29 November 2005 23:22 Go to previous message
Frank
Ah well spotted, Scot! Overlooked that and started reply-ing too soon.
(I really should think things over more before answering.)
Previous Topic: Removing Bulk Rows
Next Topic: Multi-Insert in Parallel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 11:34:50 CDT 2024