Home » Developer & Programmer » Data Integration » "Generic" Oracle Question
"Generic" Oracle Question [message #145326] Wed, 02 November 2005 09:31 Go to next message
donlcs
Hi,

Let me take a sec to thank all who've been helpful.

I'm trying to play with Oracle's Warehouse Builder and got nowhere. So, I step back. Explain to me if you would, with Oracle, the 10g standard or enterprise version by default, does not include Warehouse Builder, correct?
The Oracle Warehouse Builder is a separate package, which is a component, that would require 10g installed in the first place?
Or The Oracle Warehouse Builder is a separate package, which has all the 10g stuff plus Warehouse sample database and functions?

And has any of you installed Warehouse Builder in Windows env?

TIA.
Re: "Generic" Oracle Question [message #145330 is a reply to message #145326] Wed, 02 November 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acambece
I would like to know the answer to this question as well. let me know. by cambece law.
Re: OWB and Oracle database installation question [message #145340 is a reply to message #145330] Wed, 02 November 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Oracle Warehouse Builder is a tool. It's like the Oracle Enterprise Manager: you don't have to install it on the same machine.

You can install it on a blank PC, but you need a database somewhere to hold your OWB runtime repository.

Oracle Database does not include OWB, nor does OWB include an Oracle database. The Oracle database comes with sample schemas you can play with.

HTH,
MHE

BTW: I'm moving this thread to the Warehouse Builder forum.
Re: OWB and Oracle database installation question [message #145371 is a reply to message #145340] Wed, 02 November 2005 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
donlcs
It seems that the first download copy of OWB was bad. Second download and installation were successful.

Oracle web site has a couple of OWB related documents, however, none describes relationships among OWB components such as repository, design and client. For people new to Oracle and/or warehousing, this is extremely confusing. My guess is,
1) there has to be a warehouse database to begin with, Oracle term, repository?
2) design some sort of service/model/module/app based on 1)?
3) access these sort of service/model/module/app from a 2)?

Is any article addressing the above? URL pointers would be much appreciated.

Re: OWB and Oracle database installation question [message #145520 is a reply to message #145371] Thu, 03 November 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
donlcs
Ahe, let me answer part of the question myself Smile
I figured quite a bit out myself by playing with various OWB components and 'hidden' docs within, Oracle has a 'unique' way of doing things Smile

And in all earnestness, I still don't know which program provides the ability to create/edit cube.

TIA.
Re: OWB and Oracle database installation question [message #145594 is a reply to message #145520] Fri, 04 November 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
donlcs wrote on Thu, 03 November 2005 18:12

And in all earnestness, I still don't know which program provides the ability to create/edit cube.
That would be OWB Client, as seen in my printscreen in this thread.

Look at the screenshot: in each database node, you'll find the possibility to create/edit cubes:

/forum/fa/566/0/

The dialog looks like this:

/forum/fa/567/0/

Don't look at the FK names, for obvious reasons I've blanked out some (most) identifiable names.

MHE
  • Attachment: owb_cube1.jpg
    (Size: 29.67KB, Downloaded 2468 times)
  • Attachment: owb_cube2.jpg
    (Size: 44.46KB, Downloaded 2471 times)
Re: OWB and Oracle database installation question [message #145683 is a reply to message #145594] Fri, 04 November 2005 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
donlcs
I appreciate the follow-up. Indeed I've also looked quite a bit at the OWB client previously, however, did not see any available database listed under Oracle, pls see attachment (as a side, it would be nice to have an image file automatically appended to the end of a msg). Probably warehouse database is not configured or not correctly in my case. btw, I shall read the doc I found instead of a quick glance.

Thanks.

Attachment: one
Re: OWB and Oracle database installation question [message #145830 is a reply to message #145683] Mon, 07 November 2005 02:03 Go to previous message
Maaher
donlcs wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 22:48

I appreciate the follow-up. Indeed I've also looked quite a bit at the OWB client previously, however, did not see any available database listed under Oracle, pls see attachment
You have to right-click on the "Oracle" node and add a data source or target. I'm sure the docs can provide detailed information about this.

donlcs wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 22:48

(as a side, it would be nice to have an image file automatically appended to the end of a msg).
You can insert an image manually, by uploading a file and click the "insert image into message body" link. I suggest you try MWSnap a freeware screen shot utility. You can save your screen shots in JPG (a lot smaller than BMP) with it and it doesn't have this watermark.

HTH,
MHE

[Updated on: Mon, 07 November 2005 02:04]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Warehouse Builder?
Next Topic: Oracle 8i cd doesn't seem to load or install
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:59:40 CDT 2024