Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Increasing performance of queries
Increasing performance of queries [message #140718] Wed, 05 October 2005 06:17 Go to next message
sreek_s
Hi,

Following queries are taking too much time to execute. Please help me to increase the performance of those queries.

1. I have a table which has large data (lakhs of records). I need to delete some of the rows based on a condition. Currently it is taking 20 minutes to execute a single delete query on such a table. How can i increase the performance of delete query?

2. Also i have some merge queries. They are also taking long time to execute. In this case also table has lot of data. How can i increase the performance of merge query ?

Note:- In both the above cases , the tables which i am operating on are having indexes. Is the performance degradation because of indexes ?

Please suggest me the best ways to increase performance of queries.

Regds,
Srikanth
Re: Increasing performance of queries [message #140726 is a reply to message #140718] Wed, 05 October 2005 07:10 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
No information about oracle version, os,available statistics / plan / trace , data distribution etc.
With the wealth of available information, let us start guessing.

>>1. I have a table which has large data (lakhs of records). I need to delete some of the rows based on a condition. Currently it is taking 20 minutes to execute a single delete query on such a table. How can i increase the performance of delete query?

When was the last the statistics collected?
COllect the statistics on table and indexes.
try again.

1 lakh=100,000.
Out of lakhs for records, how much are you deleting?
Please look into the following discussion , apply them and see whether it helps.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/51172/0/

Thanks & Regards
Previous Topic: indexes
Next Topic: different performance on old server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 23:49:23 CDT 2024