Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Cannot connect through a NAT firewall
Cannot connect through a NAT firewall [message #101042] Thu, 01 April 2004 07:31 Go to next message
Jim Downing
We have Oracle 9i installed on a Win2000 Professional workstation, and pretty much as it comes - we haven't changed many config. parms.

We have a basic Linksys firewall/router, and when the Oracle machine is not behind it we can contact it without ay problems. However, when we put the machine behind the firewall we can 'tnsping' it, but cannot contact it with SQL*Plus

I've run a trace on SQL*Net and the problem seems to be as follows:

1. The client contacts the server using its external IP address.

2. Oracle responds with a packet which contains the INTERNAL IP address of the machine. (i.e. the machines IP address on our local intranet)

3. The client attempts to contact Oracle using the Oracle machine's internal intranet IP address. Of course this fails because only the external address is valid outside the firewall.

4. SQL*Plus responds TNS-12535: TNS:operation timed out   

Can anyone suggest how we pursuade Oracle and SQL*NET to continue to use the Oracle Server's external address.

Re: Cannot connect through a NAT firewall [message #101269 is a reply to message #101042] Wed, 14 July 2004 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silly Pinguin
Hope you have already solved this by now - if not, my search lead me to the solution described, e.g., here:

http://www.stunnel.org/examples/oracle.html

http://www.greenspun.com/com/pauck/marco/misc/oracle_and_firewalls.html

Regards,
Silly Pinguin
Re: Cannot connect through a NAT firewall [message #101621 is a reply to message #101269] Tue, 11 January 2005 04:27 Go to previous message
Giacomo
I have the same problem... I've make a DNAT for the ip of the Ora Server but this solution is not the best.

i've try with no positve result the cheat USE_SHARED_SOCKET = TRUE

My oracle server is 9.2
Previous Topic: installation of oracle 8.0.4 on win2000 sp4 and winxp.
Next Topic: how to make oracle automatically connect a user as sysdba
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:00:58 CDT 2024