Home » Infrastructure » Windows » problem creating 10Gb datafile on Win2k
problem creating 10Gb datafile on Win2k [message #100895] Tue, 10 February 2004 03:10 Go to next message
Clessio Mendes
Hi there!

I'm having problems creating an oracle database on an Windows2000 RAID server.
I have a pretty new Oracle installation and I used oracle database assistant to generate the creation scripts for a 10Gb database.
When I run the scripts, everything goes OK except the creation of the user datafile. When I trie to create a 10Gb datafile I get an error message "ORA-01122: datafile ... - failed verification check" saying actual and informed file sizes, in blocks, differs. In fact, on the database folder I see a 1.8Gb file where the 10Gb one should be.
I've tried different block sizes (2048, 8192) all with the same error reported.
I've also tried a smaller datafile size (3Gb) with apparent success on creation. But, in sequence, when the file size increase with some inserts (autoextent on) I get the same error.

The server has 2 raid configuration: 2 disks on RAID1 and 3 others on RAID5. I've already tried to create the datafile on both of them, but got the same error.
I thought the problem should be on the RAID system, so I copied a huge non-oracle file on it (with 40Gb) and the operating system accepted without problems (and the file was checked OK).

By the way, I'm using Oracle 8.0.5

Thanks in advance.
Re: problem creating 10Gb datafile on Win2k [message #100930 is a reply to message #100895] Mon, 23 February 2004 05:34 Go to previous message
tuple9i
Have you tried a smaller datafile - 2Gbyte? There are inherent limitations on file size, especially on the older versions of Oracle.

Suggestion - do NOT use autoextent=ON. That can hurt you if there is a runaway process. Rather than that setting, run a scheduled job to check for tablespaces that need more space (extents) and then add a new datafile of whatever size you think is needed. Keep datafiles and extents uniform and you will have less problems.

Hope I answered your question.

P.S. Why don't you go to a higher version of Oracle? 8.0.5 was buggy and that could be your main problem.
Previous Topic: Oracle upload pdf files attachments not completed.
Next Topic: ORACLE 9i Install Win XP Hangs 40% HEELLLP PLS!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:18:02 CDT 2024