Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Cannot define field more than once
Cannot define field more than once [message #100005] Fri, 14 June 2002 05:00 Go to next message
Dave Gawthrope
I have a user who is trying to connect to an Oracle (8.1.7) database using MS Access via ODBC. They are using an Oracle user with SELECT only privileges set up for reporting purposes. When they try to link to certain tables they get the message 'Cannot define field more than once'. If they try to link to the same table, as an Oracle user with more privileges, then there are no problems.
The table is accessible normally via SQL*PLus as the SELECT only user. I can't find any reason for this, other than the obvious but there are no fields in any of the tables involved with the same name. Anybody got any ideas, please
Re: Cannot define field more than once [message #100223 is a reply to message #100005] Thu, 12 September 2002 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Harcourt
I am developing a VB app which uses SQL DTS to import data from a Pervasive SQL 7.0 Database (using the Pervasive SQL ODBC drivers). Periodically the same thing happens on certain tables - and when I try to create an ODBC link in MS Access, I get the same message. In SQL Server, when I preview the DTS package results, I see the reason for this, the preview shows:

SYNONYM, SUBKEY, SYNONYM, SUBKEY, SYNONYM

where SYNONYM is 1 of 8 fields, and SUBKEY is not a field in the table, but a name of an index in the table. I would be interested to see what results this person gets when using DTS. Email me ...
Re: Cannot define field more than once [message #101238 is a reply to message #100005] Thu, 01 July 2004 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Brown
I'm not sure if your problem is related to the one I had today, but thought I'd post my findings anyway.

I use Microsoft Access 2002. In Tables Design View, I
inserted 5 new fields.
Eexample:
BPLN_REQ1
BPLN_REQ2
BPLN_REQ3
AGENCY_ATEX1
AGENCY_ATEX2

In Design View the field names seem to be okay, but
when I exported the table to a new database (dbf)
file, I received this same error message. During the
export process, the error caused my database file to
be deleted from my hard drive.
I then decided to open my pre-modified database table
in Access, then inserted one field and exported. Each
export worked fine until I tried exporting with the
last field name insertd (AGENCY_ATEX2).
The reason for the error is that during the export
Access only allows 10 chacters for field names. Even
though Access shows my AGENCY_ATEX1 field as
AGENCY_ATEX1 and AGENCY_ATEX2 field as AGENCY_ATEX2,
in reality Access changed both names to AGENCY_ATE.
Therefore, AGENCY_ATEX2 was subsequently changed to
AGENCY_ATE as well during the export, resulting in
the "...More Than Once" error.
Once I changed the field names to 10 or less
characters the export worked just fine.
Example:
AGNCY_ATX1 and AGNCY_ATX2.

I hope this helps. Please email if it does.
Regards,
Scott
Re: Cannot define field more than once [message #101583 is a reply to message #101238] Tue, 21 December 2004 04:39 Go to previous message
Karl Brandewie
Yes, I concur. When I tried to export a MS Access 2000 query as a 'Word mail merge' type file, I encountered the same errors. After looking closely at my field names, I realized I had an Address-Line 1 and an Address-Line 2 field. I then changed the type of export to a regular .txt file, and a wizard came up and allowed me to select a delimiter (comma) and other export specifications. I would like to point out, when importing a data source into Word for mail merge, it seems to require a field delimiter such as a comma, rather than a tab or space delimiter. Now everything works!

Karl
Previous Topic: Oracle TNS Error
Next Topic: Error Installing Oracle 9i client
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:59:47 CDT 2024