Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Logging on to SQL*Plus
Logging on to SQL*Plus [message #99883] Thu, 09 May 2002 04:34 Go to next message
andy
I've just installed Oracle 8i personal edition on my Windows 98 machine but when I try to log into SQL*PLUS I'm prompted for a user/password/host string - yet I wasn't prompted for any of this during the install. I tried my windows login but no luck. Can anybody help?
Re: Logging on to SQL*Plus [message #99890 is a reply to message #99883] Thu, 09 May 2002 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S Jesse - Coauthor Oracle
On Oracle8i, Oracle creates 3 basic accounts by default:

Internal (passowrd is probably oracle). Used for starting up and shutting down the database, and is 'all powerful'.

Sys - Password is change_on_install. SYS and Internal are basically equivalent, except that SYS on its own cannot shutdown/startup. SYS owns the data dictionary (metadata objects are owned by SYS)

System - password is manager. System is a basic DBA account, who also owns some data dictionary objects.

You should avoid logging in and creating objects as any of these accounts. once you are logged into SQL*Plus, you can create new users with some basic commands such as:

SQL> Create user x identified by y default tablespace users;
SQL> grant connect, resource to x;
SQL> connect x/y

(This will connect you as user x).

This is very basic info, but hopefully it is enough to at least get you logged in to SQL*Plus :-) !!!
Re: Logging on to SQL*Plus [message #99988 is a reply to message #99883] Sun, 09 June 2002 07:36 Go to previous message
AnnieCat
Thanks for the info, but what about the host string? This would really help.

Thanks
Previous Topic: Re: Oracle 8i Installer dies in Win 2000 Prof. - also on 98SE
Next Topic: Re: Install Personal Oracle 7 and Developer2000 in same host
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:43:03 CDT 2024