Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Vb-Oracle odbc connectivity
Vb-Oracle odbc connectivity [message #99800] Mon, 08 April 2002 21:00 Go to next message
Vikas Kale
What are the software required in windows 9x/me environment by which vb(6.0)-oracle(8.1.7.0) client connectivity will be possible. Are there any problems in this connectity. If so, how to solve it.
Re: Vb-Oracle odbc connectivity [message #99803 is a reply to message #99800] Tue, 09 April 2002 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Antony
First of all you've to install the oracle client on the windows 9x/me box. After that, use the net8 assistant to setup the service connection. You can test the connection on net8 assistant itself. Otherwise get to the prompt and type 'tnsping <servicename>' and substitute the service name here.
You should all be sset. In VB you can then use oracle oledb provider or just oracle odbc to connect.
You can connect by using this code in a VB6 module [message #100210 is a reply to message #99800] Sun, 08 September 2002 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tareque
Public Sub Tareque()
DBopen.ConnectionString = "Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=tareque;Extended Properties=DRIVER={ORACLE ODBC DRIVER};SERVER=APEXTAN;UID=TAREQUE;PWD=sonartory;DBQ=APEXTAN;DBA=W;APA=T;FEN=T;FRC=10;FDL=10;LOB=T;RST=T;FRL=F;PFC=10;TLO=O;"
DBopen.Open
End Sub
Re: Vbconnectivity [message #100929 is a reply to message #99800] Sun, 22 February 2004 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandeep
we can use diffrent method. i am sending a method through you can provide connectivity.

Dim db As Connection
Set db = New Connection
db.CursorLocation = adUseClient
db.Open "PROVIDER=MSDASQL;dsn=NEW;uid=scott;pwd=tiger;database=new1;"

Set adoPrimaryRS = New Recordset
adoPrimaryRS.Open "select * from
", db, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

new1 is database name
NEW IS dsn. So first make a system dsn through ODBC datasource.
bye
sandeep
Re: Vb-Oracle odbc connectivity [message #101008 is a reply to message #99800] Mon, 22 March 2004 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alihadim
Dim cnn As New ADODB.Connection
'
Set cnn1 = New ADODB.Connection
strCnn = "User ID=xx;Password=xx;Data Source=xx;"
cnn1.open strcnn
-----------------------------
before You must add to oracle odbc driver. ok
there are question user Id pw and server....
and they must same datasource name and odbc drive name
-------------------
Vb-Oracle odbc connectivity [message #101051 is a reply to message #99800] Sat, 03 April 2004 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sheeraz Bin Wasi
Hi, I'm very confuse. plz help me for vb-oracle conctivity odbc without using conrol properties.
I want run time connectivity.
plz solve my prob.
thank
Re: Vb-Oracle odbc connectivity [message #101092 is a reply to message #101051] Tue, 27 April 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashley collado
Pls use this sample code:
>create a new project and add reference for MS ADO 2.x
>U must have a working client connection to an Oracle service, like in my case, the service im connecting to is "DEV" as been defined by Net8 in my TNSNAMES.ORA
-----------------------------
Private Sub Command1_Click()
Dim Conn As New ADODB.Connection
Dim rsTest As New ADODB.Recordset
Dim strSQL As String

Conn.ConnectionString = "Provider=MSDAORA.1;User ID=DEVADC;Password=DEVADC;Data Source=DEV;Persist Security Info=False"
Conn.Open

strSQL = "SELECT USER,SYSDATE FROM DUAL"
Set rsTest = Conn.Execute(strSQL)

MsgBox rsTest.Fields(0) & " : " & rsTest.Fields(1)

End Sub
Re: Vb-Oracle odbc connectivity [message #101168 is a reply to message #99800] Tue, 01 June 2004 08:41 Go to previous message
sdmcnitt
We just completed a project with VB/ADO/ORAOLEDB/Oracle and it went pretty good. My first time with Oracle as back end.

We chose the free provider from Oracle because we had to work with CLOB data type and the Microsoft provider does not support it. We also used the new Timestamp data type and found that ADO 2.6 did not support it (crashed windows). Workaround was to create a function that turned the timestamp into a text string (for concurrency control).

We even had an example of running an asynchronous open of a recordset with the ability to cancel the query (easy with the Microsoft drivers and SQL Server). Problem was that the query/process/etc kept running after the cancel method unless you killed the session.

Some issues we never fully explored or resolved. For example global/constant/dedicated connections vs connect-on-demand (the Oracle guys wanted dedicated and the VB guys wanted to simply pass around a connection string and connect when needed). It was decided by the DBA prior to coding and caused problems with code structure and unit of work.

Fun project. I miss it already (now using ODBC from Access on current project).

Have fun.
Previous Topic: Uninstall Oracle 8.0 form Windows 2000
Next Topic: ORA-0103: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 07:01:45 CDT 2024