Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Re: how to start 2 oracle instances on windows 2000
Re: how to start 2 oracle instances on windows 2000 [message #99693] Wed, 20 February 2002 14:52
Anthony
Something that could be interesting for using the DBCA tool that comes with Oracle for the second database creation (Ora 8.1.7 on Win2K):

After receiving the ora-12560 error use the TaskManager to kill the session during Initialisation of the new database. (This prevents the deletion of any files, as oposed to cancelling).

Go to Start, Run, regedit
Find the following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlSet - Services - OracelServiceYOURSECONDDBNAME - Enum - Count
Change this key entry to the number of the database that it is, in this case, 2 change the NextInstance key which should be just below to 2 (or the next service Count number, here it is 2 because the second database is the last one).
Now it is necessary to go to the first database service registry entry OracleServiceYOURFIRSTDB and update the same keys except this time put Count to 1 and NextInstance to 2(i.e. the second db service name).
Exit the registry and open the window Computer Management which can be found in the Control Panel - Administration Tools. There should be en etry under Services and Applications called Services. Here you should be able to find the OracleServiceYOURSECONDDBNAME. Assuming that it is not my particular windoze settings, it should now be possible to start the service, use and login to the database as expected

Of course the usaual play with the registry warning is warrented, but if you get curious or frustrated enough....

Hope this is useful
Previous Topic: Newbie... need directions
Next Topic: Re: Problems Installing Oracle 8i on Windows 2000 Pro
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:57:52 CDT 2024