Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Re: Oracle 8i personal edition on Windows ME
Re: Oracle 8i personal edition on Windows ME [message #99589] Sun, 20 January 2002 13:40 Go to next message
Randy B.
I have a dell P4 running Windows ME. The solutions are not my own, but I am posting them here together because I didn't see anyone else list both, and I need to do both to get Oracle8i to install.

Here is what worked for me:

I downloaded Oracle 8.1.7 from oracle.com
I exctracted the zip file to a folder
I found the file named symcjit.dll in that folder, and deleted it.
I seacher for win.ini on my hard drive and added the line Jrew=0x00080000 at the end of the "Compatibility95" section.
I restarted my computer just in case.
I then was able to run setup with the default installation.
Re: Oracle 8i personal edition on Windows ME [message #99613 is a reply to message #99589] Sat, 26 January 2002 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Serebrenik
I have dell P4 and Windows ME also and got into the same problem when installing Oracle Personal
Edition 8.1.7. I removed symcjit.dll and modified
win.ini (added the line Jrew=0x00080000 at the end of the "Compatibility95" section).

I was able to run Oracle setup but at the point
of init. Oracle database, system crashed.

So, database wasn't initialized and I was not able to start it later.

Did you have this probem? And, if you know,
what the solution to solve it?

Thank you
Re: Oracle 8i personal edition on Windows ME [message #99701 is a reply to message #99589] Sat, 23 February 2002 09:32 Go to previous message
Befeo
I did the installation of Oracle8i on a Compaq Deskpro 2000 5200MMX as Randy B. suggests. I previously increased the memory to 3 X 128 megs.

The docs suggest memory capacity is a point to be concerned about on any installation. I have to thank Randy B. because I was mired in the nest of quandries involving my total failure to get the installer to work, among other things.

I am able to initialize the Example data file and start the Navigator tool now. I dont know how to use the program yet but I bought some used books on that from Powells.com. The Oracle8i offers the combination of C language (my specialty) and SQL data query language. It is a must for file oriented software designers.

That file that Rabdy B. omits is the machine code compiler. The Oracle8i installation messages that the program will use the langage interpreter instead, since it finds the compiler missing. This helps us get away from chip instruction sets yet the ME operating system has no problem running other windows while the sample database is also mounted.

Note that the use of a Mapped Network Drive on the installation path caused the registry to put the Software specific registry keys on the wrong machine. You've got to install from a path on the machine which will run the program.
Previous Topic: Re: Problems Installing Oracle 8i on Windows 2000 Pro
Next Topic: oledb write to oracle db
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 06:00:39 CDT 2024