Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Oracle 8i Personal Edition 8.1.5 on Windows XP
Oracle 8i Personal Edition 8.1.5 on Windows XP [message #99578] Tue, 15 January 2002 12:56 Go to next message
Stuart Shepherd
Has anyone managed to get Oracle 8i Personal Edition to work on Windows XP? When I try to start the database I get the message:

ORA-12560 - can not attach to Oracle 8i

followed by another message:

The instruction at "0x10001fd0" referenced memory at "0x10001fdo". The memory could not be "read" click on ok to terminate the program.

Any help or ldeas will be much appreciated on this, as I need to get this working urgently.

Stuart
Re: Oracle 8i Personal Edition 8.1.5 on Windows XP [message #99726 is a reply to message #99578] Thu, 07 March 2002 18:15 Go to previous message
Anand Joseph
There is a very irritating solution.(Atleast it works.)Open the windows Task Manager(ctrl+shift+esc) and under the process tab there will be one called ORACLE.EXE. Right-Click and select End Process Tree. Now start the Database from the Oracle administration for Windows NT MMC. Once This is done You will find the ORACLE.EXE process running in the Task Manager. Right-Click on this and set the priority to above normal or anything higher than normal. If you managed to do this in time, you may find the memory usage increasing to more than 40MB(It will be more than 50 MB if the default database was chosen). If you were not fast enough you may have to repeat the whole procedure once again.

This has to be done everytime the system is started. A good solution would be to hibernate instead of shutting down.

(PS: So much for a solution. If only someone could write a patch)
Previous Topic: Re: Unable to start Oracle Management Service on WinNT
Next Topic: Re: Problems Installing Oracle 8i on Windows 2000 Pro
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:03:46 CDT 2024