Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Re: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
Re: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error [message #99457] Fri, 16 November 2001 22:50 Go to next message
pe
I am still getting this error when I try to create the database using the Database Configuration Assistant. I am trying to install Enterpise Oracle 8.1.7 on a Windows 2000 machine. Please help. Any suggestions are welcome.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error [message #99466 is a reply to message #99457] Wed, 21 November 2001 21:00 Go to previous message
Jeff
I got this error. It didn't matter if I set ORACLE_HOME, or if I set ORACLE_SID. What I had to do was create the sid, using the oradim utility. This is an Oracle tool for Windows.

Do a search on 'oradim' or look it up in the docs. Once I created the sid using this tool, I could use svrmgrl and create my database clone.

Not sure what to make of DBCA. But if you want to manually create your DB, this will work. Set ORACLE_SID=yoursid, then use oradim, then execute svrmgrl. Then run your creation scripts. If you have a set of spooled scripts from DBCA, I bet it uses the oradim thing as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous Topic: Re: Microsoft ODBC Driver Problem In Windows ME
Next Topic: Re: What is the Database Startup Password for 8i Personal Ed.?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:17:13 CDT 2024