Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Little Challenge for Leaders
Little Challenge for Leaders [message #84225] Tue, 17 February 2004 08:41 Go to next message
Imran Ahmad
Hello I have question for all gurus here, b/c this is an important question for all. I want to share values between sessions without commiting the record. Like in java one can share values through static variable.
I define the scnerio, If 2 users r connected A & B and there is a form through one can view employees detail with respect to their department. If A queries the record of department 10 (only queries), i want to restrict B for selecting department 10. I create a canvas in which i ask department no.

I have in mind that if anyway possible i place A and department 10 in variable and that variable is visible to all sessions then i just need to check those variables but thats not work. Plz tell how can i do this task.

Imran
Re: Little Challenge for Leaders [message #84235 is a reply to message #84225] Wed, 18 February 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
magnetic
don't use variables
lock the record before the select statement :)
and release it after you are done.

the user B should get message like "record is reserverd.. bla bla" when he tries to select that record...but who cares...
find the syntax for locking a record..

another solution is:
create a table "mylockedrecords" with columns that are the primary key of a table.
each time one tries to select a record, this table should be checked if there is a locked record.
if so , you should "minus select" this record from the normal select.

solution 3:
depending on your oracle database version,
i guess you can give grants on record level :)
Re: Little Challenge for Leaders [message #84244 is a reply to message #84235] Wed, 18 February 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Chadderton
Locking the row won't prevent the application from selecting it directly (locks will only kick in when an attempt to modify the row is made, or a command such as SELECT .. FOR UPDATE [[NOWAIT]] and even then, the app will either error or wait for the lock to be released (depending if you specified NOWAIT or not).

Not exactly a good scalable solution.

However, the lock mechanism is a potential solution, if used in conjuction with a 9i feature, i.e.

SQL> SELECT * FROM TEMP FOR UPDATE SKIP LOCKED;

Will only return non-locked records (and then subsequently lock them), but we're not told what version of the database they're running.
Re: Little Challenge for Leaders [message #84261 is a reply to message #84244] Sun, 22 February 2004 05:05 Go to previous message
Imran
my oracle version is Oracle 8i and the problem with locks is; how i release the lock b/c lock is only release with the help of ROLLBACK or COMMIT. And if i use commit then its not good until user wants to commit and if i use ROLLBACK then it clears the form rather then releasing the lock(only).

Your response is required.

Thankx
Imran
Previous Topic: Calling Flash Buttons In Forms.
Next Topic: Sharing Values
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 12:09:51 CDT 2024