Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Views or Tables?
Views or Tables? [message #65841] Mon, 10 January 2005 14:26 Go to next message
cw
Hi Guys

I have a requirement to supply data required for a large reporting system. Many of the reports take their data from multiple tables with queries that require complex joins and aggregate functions. Also, the volume of data in each table to process is quite large.

All the reports must be accessed using stored procedures from an ASP.Net interface using ref cursors to pass the report data back.

I'm wondering if creating an using views for some of these reports would be detremental to performance and actually thinking of creating tables for the final reports, that are truncated each time the report has been run.

Can anyone else suggest a better way that I could manage this and offer any advise.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Views or Tables? [message #65842 is a reply to message #65841] Mon, 10 January 2005 22:54 Go to previous message
Frank
Views can be used to store some complicated queries, but since you use procedures and ref-cursors anyway that advantage could disappear. (It is the db-developer that maintains the query anyway)
In general there is no performance-loss in using views.

Filling and especially truncating tables sounds like a bad idea; if you need to use temporary data, have a look at true temporary tables.

hth
Previous Topic: Hidden parameter improve performance: _always_semi_join = FALSE
Next Topic: Pl Help: to Tune This query.taking 10 min
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:40:05 CDT 2024