Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » NOLOGGING, APPEND, PARALLEL
NOLOGGING, APPEND, PARALLEL [message #65224] Mon, 21 June 2004 03:35 Go to next message
Ajendra Naraya Samal
Hi

Could I please know how to combine  NOLOGGING and APPEND Hint clause on INSERT INTO AS SELECT FROM.

One of my friend suggested that its always advisable to use the NOLOGGING clause if u are doing INSERT INTO AS SELECT. Could I please know in which circumstance we will avoid/use the NOLOGGING clause.

Is there any relation between NOLOGGING and APPEND clause.

Also can I be clarified on what is a parallel DML. I am cofused with the content of this link http://www.samoratech.com/tips/swnologgingmode.htm.

Thanks & Regards

Ajendra
Re: NOLOGGING, APPEND, PARALLEL [message #65247 is a reply to message #65224] Sun, 04 July 2004 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satheesh Babu.S
alter session enable parallel dml;
insert /*+ append parallel(tt, 10) nologging */
into target_table tt
select /*+ parallel(st, 10) */ *
from source_table st;

Append and Nologging is entirely different. Append is taking fresh block for insertition with out worrying about the existing block in freelist. Where as Nologging is generating no log to save save time.

Thanks and Regards,
Satheesh Babu.S
Bangalore.
Re: NOLOGGING, APPEND, PARALLEL [message #65257 is a reply to message #65247] Tue, 06 July 2004 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ajendra
Thanks Satish
Could I please know what is the significance of 10
in the clause
insert /*+ append parallel(tt, 10) nologging */

Thanks & Regards
Ajendra
Re: NOLOGGING, APPEND, PARALLEL [message #65258 is a reply to message #65257] Wed, 07 July 2004 00:00 Go to previous message
Satheesh Babu.S
it's a degree. It depends on number of cpu. Have it 2*cpu.

Thanks and Regards,
Satheesh babu.S
Bangalore.
Previous Topic: Procedure takes too long to extract using By Ref Cursor
Next Topic: tkprof Output - Unknown parameters?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:48:22 CDT 2024