Home » Infrastructure » Windows » OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database (Windows 2008 R2 with Oracle 11g R2)
OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628646] Wed, 26 November 2014 13:46 Go to next message
chillkroetle
Hi everybody,

i hope somebody can help me. I've installed Oracle on Windows 2008R2 within a VMware. My first instance is started successfull without any problems. Next i installed a second database with the database configuration assistent. My first database is called Instance1, the second database is called Instance2.
After the installation all services are started successfully and i can connect to both instances over the enterprise manager.

But when i restart the VMware Windows one of the OracleDBConsole<Instance> service don't start. It stays a long time on "is starting". In this time i cannot open the windows network environment, etc. After a Windows restart it could be that it is the service OracleDBConsoleInstance1 and on the next reboot OracleDBConsoleInstance2.

After the service "is starting" mode is over i can't start the service manually. What is the problem here?
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628648 is a reply to message #628646] Wed, 26 November 2014 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/REFRN/refrn10041.htm#REFRN10041

"DB_NAME specifies a database identifier of up to 8 characters. "

INSTANCE1

Might above be a problem?
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628652 is a reply to message #628648] Wed, 26 November 2014 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chillkroetle
Hi BlackSwan,

i don't think so becaus before i installed the second database my instance1 was running successfully on each reboot. It also can be that on the next reboot the dbConsole service from Instance1 is starting up and the service from instance2 not. It's difficult... Sad
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628653 is a reply to message #628652] Wed, 26 November 2014 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
You do not have to convince me of anything.
The issue is between you & Oracle.

If only the leftmost 8 characters are used, explain exactly how Oracle differentiates between the two instances.
I suspect that if you were to install yet another DB by any other name that does not start with "INSTANCE", it will work without error.
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628658 is a reply to message #628653] Wed, 26 November 2014 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chillkroetle
i don't try that because i'm only a beginner in oracle. So i installed yet another DB with the name "TEST". So i have three instances now. The real name of the instances are "Instanz1", "TEST" and "ELO". The instance "ELO" is always starting successful, but the other instances not. so can the problem always be by "Instanz1"? So when i delete the instance the other will be start correctly?

[Updated on: Wed, 26 November 2014 15:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628660 is a reply to message #628658] Wed, 26 November 2014 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan

Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/ and read http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/174502/

do NOT tell us what you think you did, use COPY & PASTE to show us exactly what you do & how Oracle responds
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628893 is a reply to message #628660] Sun, 30 November 2014 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chillkroetle
Hi BlackSwan,

ok, i've created a new envirnoment and did the following:

1. I Installed Windows 2008 R2 in a Vmware environment
2. Next i installed Oracle Enterprise 11g with the database and instance ELO1
2.1 All services are started and i can login via http://<computername>:1158/em
3. I restart the computer and after the restart all services are started and i can login via http://<computername>:1158/em
4. Next i installed a second database and instance ELO2 with the database configuration assistant
4.1 After the installation all services are startet and i can login via http://<computername>:1158/em to the first instance and to http://<computername>:5500/em to the second instance
5. I restart the computer
6. All services are startet execpt the service "OracleDBConsoleELO2" (it shows approximately 15 min. is starting)
6.1 within this 15 min. you can see in the windows systray the network adapter with a blue ring and you can't access the network connection or for example editing files on the windows file system
6.2 After the 15 min. the service "OracleDBConsoleELO2" didn't start and so i can't login to http://<computername>:5500/em but the rest is working correct again

So i don't know why the service "OracleDBConsoleELO2" didn't start and what i've done wrong or what i've forgot to do.
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628896 is a reply to message #628893] Sun, 30 November 2014 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Are you assigning an IP address to your VM with DHCP? Because OEM really doesn't like that. Look for any directories in your %ORACLE_HOME% with names that have an ip address embedded within them. On my 11.2.0.3 Windows install, I have these
c:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\db112\192.168.1.65_orcla
c:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\db112\oc4j\j2eeOC4J_DBConsole_192.168.1.65_orcla
If you have any names like that, you may need to bind the hostname to a static address (I always use 127.0.0.1) and then drop and recreate Database Control.
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628903 is a reply to message #628896] Sun, 30 November 2014 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
John Watson wrote on Sun, 30 November 2014 07:12
you may need to bind the hostname to a static address (I always use 127.0.0.1) and then drop and recreate Database Control.

While I agree with the rest that you said (not quoted here) I'd like to offer a counter argument to the suggestion to specifically use ip address 127.0.0.1 (or its alias, 'localhost').

As you know, if the only fixed IP address the server has is 127.0.0.1, the listener will never get a connection from any other system -- like the host system.

When I set up virtual machines on my desktop, I want to be able to treat them exactly like I do any server in my data center. That means a couple of things right up front.
First, the vm console is effectively the same as the physical console of a physical machine. I don't get up and go to the data center to interact with those systems, so neither do I use the vm console for my vm's. Second, because of the previous, I access my vms (and their databases) using exactly the same desktop tools as used for my live servers and databases. Putty, sqlplus, SQL Developer, WinSCP, UltraEdit, SQL Navigator, etc, etc, etc. And all of that means that my vm's have to have a fixed address that is routable -- not 127.0.0.1. My preference and practice is to configure the vm's as 'hostonly'. That way they can have a fixed, routable IP address, can be connected to from my desktop system exactly the same as any server in the data center, and are completely hidden from the corporate network, so I can do whatever I like with them and not worry about any impact outside of my own desktop.

Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628919 is a reply to message #628903] Sun, 30 November 2014 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chillkroetle
Hi at all,

in this case i'm with EdStevens. I've a static IP-Adress. In my %ORACLE_HOME% there are only directories with the hostname in it. So should i duplicate the directory in oc4j\j2ee\ with the ip-adress or localhost in it?
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628947 is a reply to message #628919] Mon, 01 December 2014 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
chillkroetle wrote on Sun, 30 November 2014 16:23
Hi at all,

in this case i'm with EdStevens. I've a static IP-Adress. In my %ORACLE_HOME% there are only directories with the hostname in it. So should i duplicate the directory in oc4j\j2ee\ with the ip-adress or localhost in it?

The host name should be fine (and probably preferable) as long as it resolves to the correct IP address.
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628974 is a reply to message #628947] Mon, 01 December 2014 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chillkroetle
yes when i type ping <hostname> i get the correct ip-adress. So i don't know what is still wrong... Do you have any ideas?
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628976 is a reply to message #628974] Mon, 01 December 2014 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I never really used DB Console and since it doesn't exit in the current release I see even less point in bothering with it now. But I do know that the standard fix to any problem is to drop it and recreate. run

emca -help

to see the syntax for -deconfig and -config.
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628977 is a reply to message #628976] Mon, 01 December 2014 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chillkroetle
Hi John,

i had the same idea. But i tried three new installations of multiple oracle sids and databases in VMware Environments and had the same problem. So i think i do something wrong. but what? I read via google that i need the oem grid control to manage multiple sids on the same windows machine?
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628978 is a reply to message #628977] Mon, 01 December 2014 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I've told you what I would do. Your choice.
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628979 is a reply to message #628978] Mon, 01 December 2014 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
> I read via google that i need the oem grid control to manage multiple sids on the same windows machine?
that is correct.
Realize that EM is NOT required to start, manage or use any Oracle DB.
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628980 is a reply to message #628979] Mon, 01 December 2014 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chillkroetle
Hi BlackSwan

ok so i think i've my mistake. So i would study the steps to install the grid control and try it again. But i see that i can't download it for the Oracle 11g anymore. Do you have a functional download link?
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #628985 is a reply to message #628977] Mon, 01 December 2014 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
chillkroetle wrote on Mon, 01 December 2014 14:25
Hi John,

i had the same idea. But i tried three new installations of multiple oracle sids and databases in VMware Environments and had the same problem. So i think i do something wrong. but what? I read via google that i need the oem grid control to manage multiple sids on the same windows machine?

Grid Control to manage multiple databases under one control - one "pane of glass"

A single instance of Dbcontrol is configured for a single database instance, but if you have multiple database instances, you most definately CAN configure a separate dbcontrol for each. Each instance of dbcontrol will run on its own port, and so will have its own url. Not quite as convenient as the 'single pane of glass' you get with grid control, but definitely do-able, and it really doesn't take any special tricks.

Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #629141 is a reply to message #628985] Wed, 03 December 2014 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chillkroetle
Hi EdStevens,

so you mean that i don't need the Grid Control for multiple instances? In my Vmware Environment my two dbconsole services have different ports. But what could be my mistake that one service won't come up during the os boot?
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #629150 is a reply to message #629141] Wed, 03 December 2014 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
chillkroetle wrote on Wed, 03 December 2014 14:30
Hi EdStevens,

so you mean that i don't need the Grid Control for multiple instances? In my Vmware Environment my two dbconsole services have different ports. But what could be my mistake that one service won't come up during the os boot?

Since you are running it on Windblows, each dbcontrol will have its own windows service. Start serveices.msc and check the state and status of each. I had a problem just last week with a Windblows server hosting 3 separate db instances, each with its own dbcontrol. one of them wouldn't start with the 'emctl start dbconsole'. I messed around with it longer than I'd like to admit before planting my forehead in my palm and looking at the Windows services. The misbehaving dbcontrol had its service set to 'disable'. I have no idea how it got that way.

If all of the services are started, we need to go back to the basics of starting with the emctl command. Make sure ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID are both properly set when you 'emctl start dbconsole'. Beyond that, look in the dbcontrol log and trace files.
Re: OracleDBConsole<Instance> don't start after install a second database [message #629320 is a reply to message #629150] Sun, 07 December 2014 07:06 Go to previous message
chillkroetle
Hi EdStevens,

when i set the dbconsole service which do not start automatically to manual start type and reboot the VM i can start manual the problem dbconsole service without any problems after the reboot of the VM. So it seems that it only have a problem when i set the service to the automatic start type.
In the OracleDBConsoleELO2srvc it logs:

istatus
12/07/14 14:00:46 Received exitCode 1 from emctl istatus
12/07/14 14:00:51 Timedout while tracking process to start. Terminating..

Previous Topic: create an oracle dump file
Next Topic: DbCreateDynaset from text file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:43:03 CDT 2024