Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » How do clusterware knows the location of voting disks (Oracle 11.2.0.1, Suse Linux SP3)
How do clusterware knows the location of voting disks [message #615264] Sun, 01 June 2014 09:39 Go to next message
juniordbanewbie
In Oracle 10.2 from http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b14203/storage.htm#BABJIDCE

Quote:

You cannot use ASM to store Oracle Clusterware files, because these files must be accessible before any ASM instance starts.

But In Oracle 11.2 clusterware files can be stored in ASM. I google why can store clusterware on asm, I've come up with this url.

http://levipereira.wordpress.com/2012/01/11/explaining-how-to-store-ocr-voting-disks-and-asm-spfile-on-asm-diskgroup-rac-or-rac-exten ded/

Quote:

Voting disks are placed directly on ASMDISK. Oracle Clusterware will store the votedisk on the disk within a disk group that holds the Voting Files. Oracle Clusterware does not rely on ASM to access the Voting Files, that's means wich Oracle Clusterware does not need of Diskgroup to read and write on ASMDISK.
You only know if exist a voting files in a ASMDISK (v$asm_disk using column VOTING_FILE)

However I still feel that the fact is a bit contradicting. If we only know if a disk is a voting disk through v$asm_string, isn't it as good as saying you need to have asm instance up in order to read voting disk, then how can clusterware not rely on ASM to access the voting disk.

Maybe someone could enlighten me how do the clusterware where to look for the voting disk?

many thanks in advance!
Re: How do clusterware knows the location of voting disks [message #615265 is a reply to message #615264] Sun, 01 June 2014 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Look at the profile.xml file, beneath your $OH/gpnp directory. You'll see that the disk string is embedded there.
Re: How do clusterware knows the location of voting disks [message #615270 is a reply to message #615265] Sun, 01 June 2014 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
juniordbanewbie
yes I've found the file /u01/app/11.2.0/grid/gpnp/orcl01/profiles/peer/profile.xml, inside the file

DiscoveryString="ORCL:OCR_VOTE*,/dev/asm-*" 

but based on the above we still don't know which disk partition is voting disk right? sorry for asking too in-depth question.
Re: How do clusterware knows the location of voting disks [message #615271 is a reply to message #615270] Sun, 01 June 2014 10:11 Go to previous message
John Watson
Now you are not thinking. At no point do you ever tell GI where the vote disk is. GI can inspect the disks and find it. You can use various OS utilities to dump the first few blocks of the disks, and do the same thing.
Previous Topic: clusterware
Next Topic: SEVERE:OUI-67064:OPatchSession cannot load inventory for the given Oracle Home /u01/app/11.2.0.1/gri
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:02:52 CDT 2024