Home » Other » Community Hangout » Need Advice : Change in Technology / Change in Role?
Need Advice : Change in Technology / Change in Role? [message #555191] Tue, 22 May 2012 01:19 Go to next message
orapratap
Hello

One of my friends is working as a oracle dba in a product based company which develop and support insurance related applications

Though the company is product based, customer specific changes are made to the application software and in any case the software remained so far as java-J2ee + oracle developed system

Recently a new version of the product is being developed containing yawl, drools and some flex stuff and this will replace the pl/sql from the application development
Though the database will remain as oracle, after the system going Live backup - recovery, storage will be taken care by the customer itself

After release of this version all forthcoming projects will implement it thus making all pl/sql based versions obsolete

Now my friend has 2 options
1) either learn the yawl + drools and leave the role of oracle dba (doing oracle tuning etc) thus changing the profile
2) leave the organization

He has apprehensions as
1) These technologies are not a oracle dba stuff rather it is for java developers
2) Working in yawl, drools, flex and at the same time Not working in pure oracle stuff will block his route of being skilled Oracle dba
3) Also in future he may not be considered as Oracle dba in case such opportunity pops up

Please share your thoughts

Thanks and Regards
oraratap

Re: Need Advice : Change in Technology / Change in Role? [message #555667 is a reply to message #555191] Sat, 26 May 2012 18:22 Go to previous message
matthewmorris68

There's several pieces of information that aren't supplied:

- How happy he is with the company.
- How happy the company is with him (i.e. do they like him and *want* him to learn to drool or would they prefer he left).
- How many years of experience does he have as a DBA.

If he's very happy with them and they're very happy with him and he doesn't have a huge amount of experience as a DBA, I'd say that he should stay around for a while and see if he enjoys drooling. However, if any of the three is negative, I'd have to imagine looking elsewhere.

I have 16 years of experience with Oracle. I really like the company I work for and they love me. However, if they decided next week that they were going to chuck Oracle and move to SQL Server, then I'd be actively looking to move elsewhere. This isn't because I detest SQL Server (although I consider it an inferior platform to Oracle), but rather because my years of experience in Oracle make me a valuable resource. If I were to switch to something else, immediately my value would go down. I love adding new skills to my resume, but not if they preclude me from continuing to use the ones I already have.
Previous Topic: It's 365 days since May 25, 2011
Next Topic: Littlefoot check
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:07:41 CDT 2024