Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » RMAN backup on RAC cluster (Oracle 11.2.0.2 on AIX 6)
RMAN backup on RAC cluster [message #533904] Thu, 01 December 2011 12:17 Go to next message
caprikar
Hi,
I have 3 node 11gR2 RAC on AIX and I want to configure RMAN backup, for backup purpose can I create a separate VIP and use it only for running RMAN backup? I will it have any conflicts/disadvantage from RAC cluster prespective? If I can use then how to make sure that other database/listener traffic doesn't use that backup VIP?
Thanks.
Re: RMAN backup on RAC cluster [message #533907 is a reply to message #533904] Thu, 01 December 2011 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Hello - I don't understand what you want to do. RMAN cannot be associated with a VIP. You connect to an instance (it doesn't matter which one) with the RMAN client and then you can launch your RMAN channel processe(s) against any instance(s) you wish. The channel(s) will then write files to your backup device. Are you saying that you want to launch channels against a particular one of your three instances? If so, I always do that by defining a service which is preferred on one instance and available on the others.
Does this help? Or have I misunderstood what you want to do?
Re: RMAN backup on RAC cluster [message #533908 is a reply to message #533907] Thu, 01 December 2011 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
caprikar
sorry, I didn't explain it well. When you configure NetBackup for oracle client you will have to use the hostname (IP) or the VIP address in the netbackup server. My question is, can I have a dedicated VIP created in my RAC cluster and use that for netbackup configuration instead of using the VIP that I use it for the database so that I can reduce the traffic.
Re: RMAN backup on RAC cluster [message #533911 is a reply to message #533908] Thu, 01 December 2011 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Sorry, I know nothing about NetBackup. But I do think that what you want to do is pointless, because a virtual IP address is, like, virtual: all the traffic will go across the same physical network interface card that everything else is using. You would need to install another NIC on a different network to separate the traffic. You can do this from release 11.2.0.2. I've done it to isolate Data Guard traffic. But I suspect that it is usually better to bond multiple cards into one, and let the OS load balance across them.
Good luck.
Re: RMAN backup on RAC cluster [message #533916 is a reply to message #533911] Thu, 01 December 2011 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>can I have a dedicated VIP created in my RAC cluster and use that for netbackup configuration
>instead of using the VIP that I use it for the database so that I can reduce the traffic.
If VIP utilizes the same Network Interface Card (NIC), NOTHING is gained by adding new Virtual IP#.
Re: RMAN backup on RAC cluster [message #533921 is a reply to message #533911] Thu, 01 December 2011 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
caprikar
You are right, I have separate NIC on a different network which I'm planning to use to have another VIP for backup, is it supported by oracle? will it create any issue with the RAC cluster?
Re: RMAN backup on RAC cluster [message #533923 is a reply to message #533921] Thu, 01 December 2011 13:28 Go to previous message
John Watson
I have no idea how NetBackup works. If you have a separate NIC for it, I don't see why Oracle would know or care. The whole point of a VIP is that it can fail over, but you can't fail over from one network to another.
Previous Topic: Enable audit_trail on 2 node RAC ENV on Oracle10g
Next Topic: Query on SCAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:54:31 CDT 2024