Home » Other » Training & Certification » rman - uncatalog command (11gr1)
rman - uncatalog command [message #529668] Wed, 02 November 2011 07:42 Go to next message
piotrtal
hi,

there is a question

--------------------------------
You inadvertently delete some RMAN backups with operating system commands. You perform additional backups from RMAN again but you need to remove the deleted backups from the recovery catalog. What commands can you use to clean up the catalog? (Choose all that apply.)

A. DELETE EXPIRED
B. CROSSCHECK
C. DELETE OBSOLETE
D. UNCATALOG
E DELETE UNAVAILABLE
-----------------------------

suggested answer is BD.

B is resonable but why D intead of A.
i think that there should be AB - not BD.

that do you think?
Re: rman - uncatalog command [message #529669 is a reply to message #529668] Wed, 02 November 2011 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
In most dumps suggested answers are wrong.
The game is to find in the documentation the proof they are wrong.
Play the game...

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2011 07:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: rman - uncatalog command [message #529670 is a reply to message #529669] Wed, 02 November 2011 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piotrtal
Michel Cadot wrote on Wed, 02 November 2011 13:44
In most dumps suggested answers are wrong.
The game is to find in the documentation the proof they are wrong.
Play the game...

Regards
Michel

i do dumps only as a suplementation. i tryed to digg in documentation and do practical tests in my test enviroment. but there is some answers where i can't point exact match. this is one of this questions.
in my opinion there should be 'DELETE EXPIRED' instead of 'UNCATALOG'.
am i right?
Re: rman - uncatalog command [message #529682 is a reply to message #529670] Wed, 02 November 2011 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
in my opinion there should be 'DELETE EXPIRED' instead of 'UNCATALOG'

Explain why, with a link to the documentation that proves your opinion.

Regards
Michel
Re: rman - uncatalog command [message #529685 is a reply to message #529682] Wed, 02 November 2011 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
An approach towards problem solving that I always take (in addition to searching the docs) is to make simple tests. For example, have you tried the answers? This is E,
RMAN> delete unavailable;

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00558: error encountered while parsing input commands
RMAN-01009: syntax error: found "unavailable": expecting one of: "archivelog, backu
ired, force, foreign, global, noprompt, obsolete, proxy, script"
RMAN-01007: at line 1 column 8 file: standard input

RMAN>

So E is definitely wrong.
Re: rman - uncatalog command [message #529688 is a reply to message #529685] Wed, 02 November 2011 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piotrtal
John Watson wrote on Wed, 02 November 2011 15:11
An approach towards problem solving that I always take (in addition to searching the docs) is to make simple tests. For example, have you tried the answers? This is E,
RMAN> delete unavailable;

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00558: error encountered while parsing input commands
RMAN-01009: syntax error: found "unavailable": expecting one of: "archivelog, backu
ired, force, foreign, global, noprompt, obsolete, proxy, script"
RMAN-01007: at line 1 column 8 file: standard input

RMAN>

So E is definitely wrong.

yes i know that.

but for this particular example can be either DELETE EXPIRED or UNCATALOG. both are used to delete metadata from catalog and controlfile about backups, but DELETE EXPIRED works only if I haven't got backupiece physically on the disk - if backup are expired.
so for me 60% to 40% for UNCATALOG command.

E is of course wrong.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2011 09:18]

Re: rman - uncatalog command [message #529690 is a reply to message #529688] Wed, 02 November 2011 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You haven't tried to run UNCATALOG, have you.
Re: rman - uncatalog command [message #529698 is a reply to message #529690] Wed, 02 November 2011 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piotrtal
John Watson wrote on Wed, 02 November 2011 15:21
You haven't tried to run UNCATALOG, have you.

no, but I know what it is for - at least I think I know

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2011 10:01]

Re: rman - uncatalog command [message #529716 is a reply to message #529698] Wed, 02 November 2011 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
As I said, you only know if you can point to the information inside the documentation (or completly tested the commands/options/...), otherwise it is just a guess.

Regards
Michel
Re: rman - uncatalog command [message #529745 is a reply to message #529716] Wed, 02 November 2011 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piotrtal
Michel Cadot wrote on Wed, 02 November 2011 17:28
As I said, you only know if you can point to the information inside the documentation (or completly tested the commands/options/...), otherwise it is just a guess.

Regards
Michel

there was no documentation which could explicitly describe situation they asked about in this question. as I said, for me there was three correct answers, but they asked about two. could you help me with this question? what is your quest?
Re: rman - uncatalog command [message #529754 is a reply to message #529745] Wed, 02 November 2011 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
for me there was three correct answers

Post your proofs.

Quote:
what is your quest?

To make you understand what is a scientific investigation.
My opinion has a value of NULL.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2011 14:26]

Re: rman - uncatalog command [message #529764 is a reply to message #529754] Wed, 02 November 2011 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Hello again - this is my last contribution here.

This is the sort of question that I hope would not appear on an OCP exam. I was on the validation group for the 10g exams (but not for the 11g exams) and I would have rejected this one because I think it is ambiguous. This is my reasoning:

The question asks which command(s) will "remove the deleted backups from the recovery catalog". There is only ONE command listed which will do this, and that is A. The ambiguity comes in D. There is no command UNCATALOG, but there is an argument UNCATALOG that you can apply to the command CHANGE, which is another way of removing entries from the catalog.

So I would say that the only correct answer is A, but a case could be made for D. B is definitely wrong: CROSSCHECK won't delete anything. What it somes down to is that I agree with Michel: the value of going through such questions comes from studying the material, not memorizing the answers.

Hope this helps.

Re: rman - uncatalog command [message #529805 is a reply to message #529764] Thu, 03 November 2011 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piotrtal
John Watson wrote on Wed, 02 November 2011 21:19

The question asks which command(s) will "remove the deleted backups from the recovery catalog". There is only ONE command listed which will do this, and that is A. The ambiguity comes in D. There is no command UNCATALOG, but there is an argument UNCATALOG that you can apply to the command CHANGE, which is another way of removing entries from the catalog.

thanks John. i think that maybe there is three right answers ABD.
CROSSCHECK command mark physicaly unavailable entries as EXPIRED in control file or catalog, and later we can remove this entries by DELETE EXPIRED command. so in my opinion CROSSCHECK is also right answer.

the only doubts is with this UNCATALOG which (you said) there is no such command but there is CHANGE ... UNCATALOG command. i have goten this under consideration because there was many unclear asked questions in the exam and for some of them there is need to estimate answer, so I was considering this anwers like one of the proper.

Removing Records for Files Deleted with Operating System Utilities

thanks again John. you are helpfull.

i hope i won't get this question on exam. if yes I will mark A and B.
Re: rman - uncatalog command [message #531386 is a reply to message #529668] Tue, 15 November 2011 13:12 Go to previous message
piotrtal
passed today Smile
thanks for help.

there was no this question.
Previous Topic: 1z0-850 Certification
Next Topic: Wanna learn data warehousing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:50:03 CDT 2024