Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » Adding switch for RAC HeartBeat (SUN,5.10, ORACLE 10.2.0.3 )
Adding switch for RAC HeartBeat [message #464412] Thu, 08 July 2010 00:44 Go to next message
daring234
Dear All,

In production system we want to add sepret switch for ORACLE RAC Heartbeat and we want to perform this operation online

could you please suggest any method for this.following is my system Specfication.

Oracle Version : 10.2.0.3

SUN O/S Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.10 Generic January 2005

We have RAC implemented on both nodes.
Re: Adding switch for RAC HeartBeat [message #464596 is a reply to message #464412] Thu, 08 July 2010 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkounalis
Your post doesn't include enough information, and is a little ambiguous. I assume that what you are really meaning is that you are currently using the same physical ethernet switch for both your public and private traffic for your RAC cluster? Meaning that your CRS and RAC private networks are using the same physical swtich that your public nic's from your RAC nodes are using? You are using private, non-routable ip addresses for your private network already and have created a vlan on your shared switch to facilitate isolation of your private and public traffic? Are you using ethernet bonding to make your nic's redundant? There is a lot of information missing from your post.

Regardless, you are not going to be able to carry out any network re-configuration of your RAC cluster without taking an outage. You may be able to try bringing one node down - moving it to the new network configuration, and then shut down the remaining node - bring up the newly configured node (can't bring both of them up until they are on the same new network configuration) and then configure the other node for the new network, and then try and bring it up to re-join the cluster. I would HIGHLY advise you not doing this - take the outage, bring both nodes down, re-configure your physical network, then bring everything up in a orderly fashion. If you have a mirrored test system, you should run several iterations of tests and making sure your procedure is sound before doing it on your production system. This all assumes you are not going to need to do any ip address changes, which really will require you to take an outage as you will need to adjust the CRS stack to accommodate them. Good luck!
Re: Adding switch for RAC HeartBeat [message #465074 is a reply to message #464596] Mon, 12 July 2010 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daring234
HI,

Thanks for the suggested options. I would like to mention few configuration settings which we want to configure. We want to configure RAC Interconnect using IPMP (Link Base) topology. In this scenario there are two NIC's configured. One NIC is active and second is standby. The will remain same for both active and standby.

Now the question is that in OIFCFG how can I define (setif) this scenario as in this I have to mention the Ethernet name (like ce1 or ce2) along with IP address. In IPMP the IP address is same and the same IP can float on standby NIC if primary fails. I this scenario should I use OIFCFG then how can define the IPMP settings. Do I need to configure it through "CLUSTER_INTERCONNECT" parameter in SPFILE.

Regards.
Re: Adding switch for RAC HeartBeat [message #465106 is a reply to message #465074] Mon, 12 July 2010 12:06 Go to previous message
mkounalis
It is highly advisable that you configure IPMP as active/active or round robin. There are several reasons for this, but the biggest one is that active/passive can cause the interconnect to become unresponsive long enough to cause CRS to think that the interconnect is gone, and start fencing nodes.

As far as how to effect the change in CRS/RAC, please see Oracle Metalink Note #283684.1.
Previous Topic: how add cluster node monitor on OEM (11G R2 RAC)
Next Topic: Oracle Active Passive Database Configuration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:23:38 CDT 2024