Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » Weblogic & Application Server » Replacing Powerbuilder Application with Oracle 8i
Replacing Powerbuilder Application with Oracle 8i [message #367369] Thu, 28 September 2000 10:13 Go to next message
Durgarao
We have an powerbuilder application which connects to our oracle database (v. 8.1.6) and does some audit work.We are thinking of replacing it with some webbased gui application. I need your opinions.Can i use Webdb or OAS or anyother Webtool. If so what steps i need to take into consideration. Thanks in advance.
Re: Replacing Powerbuilder Application with Oracle 8i [message #367370 is a reply to message #367369] Thu, 28 September 2000 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Logan Wood
There are a number of options open to you, depending on the complexity of the UI in your applications, and bandwidth that your users have available.

If you want an HTML-based UI, and your application is fairly simple, you can use WebDB. If you want an HTML-based UI, but your application is more complex, you can use the Oracle PL/SQL Cartridge.
If you want a very rich and functional UI, you can use Oracle Developer and Developer Server.
I've but these in order of their complexity to learn and implement. But they all have one thing in common - the all use Oracle PL/SQL.
Re: Replacing Powerbuilder Application with Oracle 8i [message #367371 is a reply to message #367370] Thu, 28 September 2000 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Logan Wood
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I am a beginner so my questions might be simple or silly for you. I have a question what do you mean by PL/SQL Cartridge ? Does it mean i need to use OAS ? How can i convert code written in powerbulider ? Can i use plsql cartridge ? Thanks in advance.

Durga
Re: Replacing Powerbuilder Application with Oracle 8i [message #367379 is a reply to message #367371] Fri, 06 October 2000 19:03 Go to previous message
James Anderson
Powerbuilder 7 has some HTML web components. It may be possible to reuse some of your code and or datawindows.
WebDB has limitations that I found I could not resolve, except by coding Oracle PL/SQL procedures to output HTML. The layout of forms and reports was created by saving Powerbuilder DW rows as HTML table. Then convert that HTML to Oracle HTP calls using WebAlchemy. I then put the DW select, with the converted htp code, into a procedure. Forms can be done as well. Arguments can be added as needed.
Previous Topic: RE: Fonts not displaying properly in Web. (Original question missing)
Next Topic: Using ASP scripts with Oracle8i on a Unix Server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:57:24 CDT 2024