Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » HOW TO implement INDEXES ON NEW SCHEMA (10g R1)
HOW TO implement INDEXES ON NEW SCHEMA [message #340924] Fri, 15 August 2008 00:15 Go to next message
sureshm.ora
hai any body can give some inforamation on indexes. How can i proceed to build indexes?

thanks
suresh
Re: HOW TO implement INDEXES ON NEW SCHEMA [message #340925 is a reply to message #340924] Fri, 15 August 2008 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Please read & FOLLOW the Posting Guidelines as stated in URL above

http://tahiti.oracle.com

[Updated on: Fri, 15 August 2008 00:18] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: HOW TO implement INDEXES ON NEW SCHEMA [message #341054 is a reply to message #340924] Fri, 15 August 2008 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sureshm.ora
Hai thanks for your response i have gone through the links what u have mentioned they are very good links to know more about indexes .But just i want to know small info about implementing indexes (other than btree bitmap ). Is there any front end tools to help to build indexes on new schema ..pls give me replay

Thanks
suresh
Re: HOW TO implement INDEXES ON NEW SCHEMA [message #341055 is a reply to message #340924] Fri, 15 August 2008 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Is there any front end tools to help to build indexes on new schema ..
I use vi & sqlplus & so should you.
Re: HOW TO implement INDEXES ON NEW SCHEMA [message #341066 is a reply to message #341054] Fri, 15 August 2008 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
sureshm.ora
i have gone through the links what u have mentioned they are very good links to know more about indexes

Honestly, I didn't really expect you to, actually, follow links Anacedent provided. Perhaps just a piece of advice: next time you choose not to tell the truth, do that in a way that the rest of the people don't know it.

These "very good links" are
  1. OraFAQ Forum Guide (no advices regarding indexes in there)
  2. A complete Oracle documentation, covering Oracle database versions since 8i (along with IAS and Collaboration Suite documentation).
So, you have followed all of these and found many interesting stuff about indexes, but it just wasn't enough.

What do you call a "new schema"? Is it an empty schema? If so, there are no indexes there (as there's nothing to be indexed).

What kind of a tool do you have in mind, which would efficiently do something like
CREATE INDEX i1_emp ON emp (deptno);
instead of you, typing in on the keyboard? If there's, on the other hand, a lot more complicated CREATE INDEX statement (which includes a lot of typing), there are GUI tools (as TOAD, for example) which allows you to create an index by clicking instead of typing, but - I believe that one should really understand what he/she is doing, what all the options are and how to properly use them.

If your question regards a tool which will suggest the right index type, options you should use etc. (so that you don't have to think much), I wouldn't know if there's any.
Re: HOW TO implement INDEXES ON NEW SCHEMA [message #341073 is a reply to message #341066] Sat, 16 August 2008 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sureshm.ora
HI

Thanks for your response .My name is suresh, i am learning oracle database from last month onwards .I am very much interested to participate in forums .I am also very much interested to know more on indexes Thats why i was started this question .
. I know some basics on indexes & how to create them(btree, bitmap, function based) but i don't know how to implement them on new schemas (generally who will do this task).. any front end tools will help ..

please replay

Thanks
suresh
Re: HOW TO implement INDEXES ON NEW SCHEMA [message #341074 is a reply to message #341073] Sat, 16 August 2008 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

... any front end tools will help ..

sqlplus tool is sufficient.

Re: HOW TO implement INDEXES ON NEW SCHEMA [message #341079 is a reply to message #341074] Sat, 16 August 2008 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sureshm.ora
hi Mohammad Taj please try to understand me please can you provide more information on it.
Re: HOW TO implement INDEXES ON NEW SCHEMA [message #341086 is a reply to message #341079] Sat, 16 August 2008 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
There's really nothing much to add; run SQL*Plus, study use of the CREATE INDEX statement and start typing.
Re: HOW TO implement INDEXES ON NEW SCHEMA [message #341087 is a reply to message #341079] Sat, 16 August 2008 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
If the question is when to use indexes and which ones, read How to Identify Performance Problem and Bottleneck and follow the links.

Also Rosco's SQL Tuning Guide

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Sat, 16 August 2008 03:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: HOW TO implement INDEXES ON NEW SCHEMA [message #341088 is a reply to message #341087] Sat, 16 August 2008 04:45 Go to previous message
sureshm.ora
Thanks to one & all for your valuable suggestions..

Thanks
suresh
Previous Topic: Why RULE hints is used?
Next Topic: Query Performance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 27 21:29:17 CDT 2024