Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » tracing, connection pools, java programs
tracing, connection pools, java programs [message #340657] Wed, 13 August 2008 12:32 Go to next message
eaganfox
I hope this is the right forum to post this as it is related to performance monitoring. However, the question involves understanding connection pools. We have a Java OLTP application that uses a connection pool, and for every action on the page, the Java programs connects to Oracle, execute the embedded SQL and close the connection (pretty much standard connection methods). However, I would like to set up tracing and more instrumentation for this application. What I am not clear about is where an Oracle session starts and ends. Does an Oracle session start with every Java "open connection" method and end with the "close connection" method or does the session remain as long as the connection pool exists (which is as long as the application is open or has not timed out). In other words, does the session id differ for each and every action performed or would it be one and the same as long as the connection pool established by this application remains available? I just need to know how many trace files I need to deal with. Thanks in advance.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 August 2008 12:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: tracing, connection pools, java programs [message #340908 is a reply to message #340657] Thu, 14 August 2008 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
These two good articles should help:

* Oracle JDBC FAQ
* How to trace a java application through a connection pool using DBMS_MONITOR
Re: tracing, connection pools, java programs [message #340915 is a reply to message #340908] Thu, 14 August 2008 22:11 Go to previous message
eaganfox
Thank you. I especially like the second link.
Previous Topic: Performance issue
Next Topic: Why RULE hints is used?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 27 20:59:48 CDT 2024