Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Performance issue
Performance issue [message #321990] Thu, 22 May 2008 01:27 Go to next message
manoj12
Dear sir

The very first time when I fire a select statement the time taken for retrieving the query is 0.063 seconds and the second time if I again fire the query the time taken is 0.00 seconds because there is a reason to it.The reason is that if data is not there in database buffer cache it is loaded from the data files.Now I wanted to know that Is the time taken to retrieve the query is the write time or I need to use hint to reduce the time?.
Has oracle have any rule so that I should come to know that this hint is more superior than any other hint?.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 May 2008 01:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Performance issue [message #322008 is a reply to message #321990] Thu, 22 May 2008 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Now I wanted to know that Is the time taken to retrieve the query is the write time or I need to use hint to reduce the time?.

What do you mean? Query does not write. The main time in your specific query seems to be reads (for what you posted).

Quote:
Has oracle have any rule so that I should come to know that this hint is more superior than any other hint?.

If there will be rules to say that a hint is superior to another one then the inferior one no more exists. Actually, there are rules but you don't see these hints because they have been removed.

Regards
Michel
Re: Performance issue [message #322027 is a reply to message #322008] Thu, 22 May 2008 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manoj12
Dear Sir
Sorry for the inconvenience sir.

I mean to say that Is the time taken to retrieve the query is the correct time or I need to use any performance hint which will reduce the execution time of the query?

Regards

[Updated on: Thu, 22 May 2008 03:55]

Re: Performance issue [message #322030 is a reply to message #322027] Thu, 22 May 2008 04:05 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I mean to say that Is the time taken to retrieve the query is the correct time or I need to use any performance hint which will reduce the execution time of the query?

If there would be a performance hint that ensure a reduction of execution time then it would be always on and there would be no more use of this hint (unless you wanted to keep the possibility to slow down your query).

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Thu, 22 May 2008 04:05]

Previous Topic: Oracle partition doesn't work for select which scans entire table
Next Topic: Query taking 10 seconds to fetch only 300 records
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 22 22:04:40 CDT 2024