Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Need info regarding DATABASE PARTITIONING (Oracel 10g)
Need info regarding DATABASE PARTITIONING [message #320164] Wed, 14 May 2008 03:47 Go to next message
smithsareen
Hi All,

I have database with some tables having million of records. The data is expected to increase in huge amount in the near future.

I've decided to go for database partitioning. I've identified few main tables and also the partition key. As of now, I'm considering the range partitioning only. I'm also planning to have a monthly maintenance of these tables to create new partitions at the month end.

I want some information regarding the hash partitioning. Like how does it work and how can we maintain it (probably on monthly basis)?

My understanding regarding hash partitioning is only that oracle uses some in built hash algorithm to divide the data into different partitions. Also, its better to have hash partitions in power of 2 .. 2,4,8,16 etc.. for better performance. Is it true?

Any help/comments/documents related to this are most welcome.

You can mail me your comments/any info/ material @ smithsareen@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot.

--Smith
Re: Need info regarding DATABASE PARTITIONING [message #320165 is a reply to message #320164] Wed, 14 May 2008 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
You don't use hash for date-based partitioning.

You decide how many hash partitions you want, then never change. New rows come along and get inserted into one of the existing partitions.

From a usage perspective, the primary use for hash partitions is to facilitate partition-wise joins with other hash-partitioned tables.

From a management perspective, hash partitions can be useful to break a table into manageable chunks for backup, recovery, and rebuilding.

Ross Leishman
Re: Need info regarding DATABASE PARTITIONING [message #320166 is a reply to message #320165] Wed, 14 May 2008 04:01 Go to previous message
smithsareen
Thanks for the quick update Ross.
Previous Topic: can any one help to tune the query
Next Topic: Counting whole table?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 27 20:05:22 CDT 2024